Home Buying in Alpharetta>Question Details

Filiz, Home Buyer in Alpharetta, GA

Windward division or The Manor Golf and Country Club ( we do not play golf).

Asked by Filiz, Alpharetta, GA Sun Dec 27, 2009

I would greatly appreciate any feed-back you may have in terms of pros and cons of those divisions.

Answers

5
Hey Nalan. I looked in both myself when we moved. I didn't play golf at the time. I wound up buying in Creekstone Estates (a Phoenix Development just like The Manor) and LOVED it. I played tennis and Creekstone had 11 tennis courts and a tennis pro and tennis shop on site. That tennis pro is now at The Manor - which has indoor tennis courts.

I now play golf and tennis. So I did regret my decision. Do you think you'll pick up the sport? If not, Creekstone has excellent schools and is located in South Forsyth - it's actually closer in than The Manor.

I have since moved out of Creekstone and will inform you that you can get an amazing deal in there since they are in their last phase.

I hope this helped a little and didn't confuse you by adding another neighborhood into the mix.

Julie Brittain
JEZEBEL Magazine “Realtor of Distinction” 2006 & 2009
Top 5 Individual Residential Agent 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008 & 2009
Top 5% of Keller Williams Realty Agents Nationwide Since 1999
#1 Team 2004 - 2005, #1 Individual Agent 2001 – 2003
Keller Williams Realty First Atlanta
Mobile: 404.966.3328

http://www.TeamBrittain.com
I see two different animals here, the communities (in my opinion of course) are apples and oranges...consider (in no order):

Winward -
1. Established and much larger
2. Has many price points and sub neighborhoods within the overall community - 250K - 1.3M
3. More convenient to everything
4. Well known and generally well regarded
5. East of 400, service and support as well as class A office space within 15 minutes. You can live and work in a 10 mile radius.
6. The older homes will likely require "updating", budget for that

The Manor -
1. Much newer and launched during the bull rush of real estate
2. Somewhat distant from service and support facilities - "horse country"
3. Sits in two counties and has two distinct sections - Cherokee schools are not as well regarded as Fulton
4. Grand style homes - statement homes that generally start in the 600's and go up well over 1M
5. Power lines are present with some of the lower priced homes
6. The community has stumbled since inception - there are new homes sitting for two or more years, REO and foreclosures are present
7. The amenities are significant and so are the fees - unless you make liberal use of the them you are likely to find this irritating.
8. Again - in my opinion - the Manor has not lived up to the hype and values are not being held. There is so much inventory in this area in the 700K+ range that the few buyers venturing out here have much to select from.

I've sold and appraised in both communities - again - opinion - I've found the owners in the Manor to be more reserved and private; Windward owners tend to be more social and relaxed. They are very different communities in many areas and if you don't play golf you might find that monthly tab a touch pill to swallow. On the surface and without knowing your personal requirements, I think Windward is the better long term buy for many reasons.

Hope this helps -

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
Hi Nalan,
I think we spoke before on another post. Are you the one that is transferring here from California? We live in Windward on Lake Windward and love it here. That being said The Manor has a lot to offer too. I would need to know more about your situation and lifestyle before I could say which would be more suitable for you and your family.

What do you and your family like to do with your free time? Is commute time important or do you work from home? I think you mentioned that your family may like horses? How about a community lake? Would you rather be right around the corner from things like local interstates, major restaurants and shopping venues, medical facilities or is it OK with you to be a little father away? What style and age of home are you looking for? Answers to these types of questions make it much easier to find communities that meet your needs.

Windward is actually a large country club style community comprised of close to 50 smaller, individually named, neighborhoods like Bent Creek, Lakeshore, Spinnakers, North Shore etc. These communities were built at different times by different builders and most have at least a couple of characteristics specific to their individual community. Prices range from around 300k to several million dollars depending on the community. Some are gated..some not. Some even have their own pools and community guidelines. All have access to Windward's pool, tennis courts, sports park, lake and golf/country club depending upon which dues you choose to pay. Lake and sports park access come with your basic HOA dues. Swim and/or tennis have additional initiation fees and annual dues and the golf and country club have even more fees and dues but these are all optional so if you don't swim, play tennis or golf you can opt out of these fees. Windward is about 5 to 10 min away from almost anywhere you would want to go...GA 400, Northpointe Mall, Verizon Amphitheatre, Wills Park, Big Creek Greenway, Emory Hospital, and most other shopping, dining and business centers are just around the corner from Windward. Add an extra 7 to 10 miles to your drive if you are in The Manor.

Windward has homes over 20 years old all the way up to brand new. The Manor is all newer high end homes ( 650k to several million dollars ) with pretty much the same look and feel. The Manors amenity package is spectacular but expect to pay for access to swim, tennis, golf country club facilities just like Windward.

Sales and prices in both communities have been affected by the recent economic downturn.... I would say a little more in The Manor than Windward. You may be able to get a little more for you money in the new construction of The Manor due to the current oversupply of homes in the 650k to 1 million plus in the area and the fact that builders are generally more negotiable on price and upgrades than some resale owners.

Below is a link to market activity in Windward and below that a link to The Manor. The links will show active listings, those currently under contract and any closed sales since Jan 2009.

http://fmlslistings.marketlinx.com/SearchDetail/Scripts/PrtB…

If you like horses The Manor is in the heart of horse country for this area and there are plenty of horse farms and places to ride including many quality riding instructors and trainers. The Manor is in the city of Milton and most subdivisions have larger 1 to 5 acre lots. Windward is more of a traditional neighborhood feel with lot sizes averaging closer to 1/2 acre except for some of the higher end neighborhoods and homes here. Both communities have excellent public school systems and are close to private schools too. Windward has it's own swim team, ALTA tennis and a private 197 acre lake with marina.

Check out one of my blog posts here for even more information about Windward:

http://www.keyhomefinder.com/2008/02/21/best-reasons-to-live…

If you would like to visit homes in either community or the surrounding area just let me know. My wife ,Debi, is our Accredited Buyers Agent and would love to put a tour together for you. Just call her at 770-906-0317 or email us at info@keylocationsforyou.com.

Deryk Harper
Broker Associate
Keller Williams Realty North Atlanta
5780 Windward Parkway Suite 100
Alpharetta, GA 30005
Deryk - 770-722-6922
Debi - 770-906-0317
http://www.keylocationsforyou.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
You shopuld look and see how the olf club is doing. Is it turning a profit and can it stand alone or will you in time be paying to keep it up.
Hi Nalan,

Both subdivisions you have chosen are very popular in Alpharetta. Windward is an older established master planned development on the East side of Alpharetta. The amenities include a 195 acre private lake, tennis, 3 pools, a sports playground, a soccer park, and the Golf Club of Georgia. You can select your amenities package and do not have to join the Golf Cub. The same is true of the Manor. Windward has about 2400 homes that are divided into distinct subdivisions. It is surrounded by excellent schools, parks, and convenient access to shopping and major expressways. Windward also has a very active Homeowners Association. The Manor Golf Club is on the west side of Alpharetta and is a newer subdivision with beautiful homes. The homes start at a much higher price range than Windward although you can find many homes in Windward that are just as exclusive. The Manor has fantastic amenities, including a clubhouse, an indoor pool and a fitness center. It is located in both Fulton County and Cherokee County so it is served by two different school systems. There is still new construction to choose from and also resale homes. If you would like further information or would like to work with an Accredited Buyers Representative, please check out my website or contact me directly.

Hope this helps!

Karen Roszyk
"A Reputation for Results"

Keller Williams Realty North Atlanta
Office: 770-663-7291
kroszyk@kw.com
http://www.yourhomewithkaren.com