Brian, Home Buyer in 95124

Willow Glen Place by Toll Brothers. How is the neighbourhood and surrounding area?

Asked by Brian, 95124 Tue May 12, 2009

We just checked its townhome models. While we liked home itself, I am not sure about the surroundings. The shopping malls seem to be too old and there is a gas station. How is the neighbourhood here? Would this community be considered as a part of Willow Glen area? Thanks.

Answers

12
Hi Brian,

My personal opinion is that there are better options out there. The inside of these homes are amazing and TB has a good reputation, especially when compared to the big boys like KB, etc. But for the price, you can probably find something in a better, more desirable location.

I live and work in the Willow Glen area and know that neighborhood very well. I just think it's too packed in there -- between Meridian & Foxworthy Ave, the 2 shopping centers, and the Willow Glen/Cambrian neighborhoods. My wife always says that you can tell a lot about a neighborhood based on the nearby grocery store and she's right. The PW is old and run down and there used to be Luckys across the street, but they closed up shop a couple years ago.

Willow Glen Place would be great if it was either in a more serene location or closer to a Santana Row or newer mall. It's current location will be a hard sell for years to come.

Brad
Web Reference: http://www.bradlehomes.com/
I have lived in Willow Glen Place for 3+ years and I love it. I was a bit leary about the area too at first (coming from Los Altos) and there have been some security problems, but I believe that is indicative of San Jose in general. If you're looking for a pristine surrounding area where everyone looks the same and is in the same socioeconomic strata as you, better to buy in Los Altos. Oh wait....this quality and design in Los Altos would cost easily twice as much! The area is consistently improving and the center across the street is coming along as well. A new Rite Aid just opened in the center and new townhomes are being built in the southwest corner. Blue Rock BBQ is a terrific family owned restaurant in the center. Panda Express and Subway are nothing to get excited about, but convenient. Now only if the Hometown Buffet would move. The pluses: 1) Toll Bros. quality and design (I"m on the 3rd floor and have 10 ft. ceilings-everyone raves about my place) 2) the community feel and friendly neighbors. I was on my own when I moved in and wanted to be able to rely on neighbors in a pinch and not be isolated at home. There is a social network that plans summer parties. There are residents who have formed book clubs, water aerobics and other activities. 3) The location, while not smack dab in the middle of Willow Glen, is close to downtown Willow Glen, Los Gatos, Santana Row, Oakridge Shopping Center, downtown San Jose, Campbell and the 85 and 280 freeways. There's a Target down the street, cheap gas on the corner, and I have even discovered some surprising wine bargains at Grocery Warehouse (a market I would never have checked out had it not been next door). Good luck on your search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 7, 2013
I have been living in the townhomes for 3 years and am completely satisfied and happy. The homes were beautifully built by Toll Brothers and are lovely to live within. I know all my neighbors and have a feeling of community. I believe the HOA has been completely responsive on any issues raised and Toll Brothers went to all the trouble/cost to alleviate a workmanship issue on all the decking! The neighborhood stores and restaurants are all new and we are very happy with them. I would definitely recommend this area, as we are in close proximity to all our favorite restaurants in both Willow Glen and Los Gatos, and there are grocery stores and drug stores within close proximity. And I would definitely recommend the complex as it is beautifully appointed (including the well maintained common areas, pool and fitness room), has good security, and friendly neighbors. It is also quiet.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 4, 2013
Hi, I am interested in one of the properties there. What is included in the HOA dues? Thank you
Flag Sun May 4, 2014
Do you know what the pet restrictions are in the complex?
Flag Sat Jan 12, 2013
My family has lived in the town homes for over three years now as well as my mother in the condos, and we have all been very happy here. I admit that when we first moved in I was a little leery about the neighborhood, but since then my fears have completely gone away. Almost daily my children and I bike to the nearby parks. We play in the common area playground and sometimes in our driveway. We have always felt very safe, happy, and comfortable. The people who live here are friendly and warm. There is almost always someone walking their dog around the complex and my children get excited to pet them all. We have been happy that so much money is going in to the business complex on Meridian between Foxworthy and Hillsdale, it has brought desirable businesses to the area that we can easily walk to as a family. As to the owner that referenced break-ins, the HOA has been exceedingly responsible and communicative about current events. The bike area for the condo owners was having a lot of trouble with theft, but the HOA installed safety measures that have alleviated the problem. Other than that, none of our neighbors or us have had any problems. We really like it here, it is a cozy little spot that keeps getting better and better.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 4, 2013
Hi Brian and thanks for your question.

I'm going to have to side with Brad Le on this one. For the price of the typical townhome at Willow Glen Courtyard, there are other options you might explore, including older homes that are NOT subject to CC&Rs, restrictions or monthly homeowners assessments. While I do agree that this is a lovely home,and Toll Brothers (which is, by the way, one of the larger builders in the US with assets diversified into areas such as publishing, advertising and media) is a consistent builder with good product, like you, I would wish for a slightly better neighborhood around this complex with newer malls and stores. Although the listing says "Willow Glen", it is on the very border of the Willow Glen in the Cambrian section of San Jose.

If you are planning to live in the home for a longer time--between 10-15 years, it is likely that the neighborhood will undergo improvements and renovationsat around the time you might choose to resell your home. Until the area catches up around the complex, however, the gas station and older stores (as you have already noted) may be negatively considered by other potential buyers, which can adversely affect appreciation on your home.

I understand the allure of a new home--I consult with developers and help plan new home complexes, but since housing prices in better areas have become as affordable as new homes, it's worth looking around at available homes in other areas to see if there are options worth exploring in slightly better neighborhoods. If you choose to purchase a home at Willow Glen Courtyard, then, as another Realtor suggested, by all means, please take a qualified knowledgeable agent or, if you're looking to save some money, a real estate facilitator with you to help you navigate through the documents, the association information, and your home purchase--when it comes time to close, you won't be sorry that you engaged a professional! Finally, take a few minutes to read my three part blog at the web address below with the "basics" of understanding homeowners associations, so that you'll know what to expect when dealing with a homeowners association.

Good luck and happy house hunting!!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
CID Specialist, Agent/Facilitator
Area Pro Realty
Tel (408) 426-1616
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 14, 2009
Brian - great concerns.. the question is ' are these still going to be a concern after you buy and most importantly when you sell'. What about the next buyer.
This is a great area, but I ask this question to all of my buyers.
I also suggest that they talk a walk around the neighborhood.. not just once, but several times. Talk with the neighbors! You are going to live with them and see them regularly.. make sure you LIKE them.
Lastly, you can check police records for anything that the neighbors may have forgotten.
Good luck in your search!
Joanna Bateman, Realtor (DRE 01792532)
408.687.3626
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 13, 2009
It's on the border of Willow Glenn and Cambrian. Being able to walk to shopping and restaurants can be a bonus. The shopping center is going through a transition as you can see. When it will be done is not determined. I like the quality of the standard finishes and the location is centralized. The determining factor would be how does this feel to you as your home?

Location is always a key in the final decisions of buyers and value.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
We have had almost 18 brake ins and bike and storage locker thefts here so its a great neighborhood, thte HOA and builder were asked repetely to fix the bike storage area with little to no response. Buy somewhere else, it safer in east Oakland then here. I regret ever buying here.
There are town homes near Hamilton/Leigh. Geographically called Willow Glen, SJ. Politically near Campbell, while not new the Los Gatos Creek trail goes right through the neighborhood. It is close to Wholes Foods on Bascom very quiet and good neighborhood. Most residents are very long time home owners and are polite. Noise no? Brand new? no, good value? Definitely.
Web Reference: http://sam.shueh.net
I'm not a realtor but I have lived in willow glen all my life. 95125 is willow glen, 95124 is not. If you are interested in willow glen and have elementary school aged children consider the Booksin school district. It is one of the best elementary schools in willow glen. Here is a fixer for 525,000 (huge lot) 1878 Creek Drive 95125 It is in the Booksin School district (its my home ;) ).
Hi Brian, Toll Brothers is considered a very good builder consistent with their financial stability.

Joanna makes great points. To support those I would add the links below for a simple way to gain information at your whim. I am adding another link to help describe one of the pitfalls regarding "new build buyers".

You are doing exactly what you should be, gathering information, that is going to make your new home purchase a pleasant endeavor.

http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/index.htm

http://www.crimereports.com/map?search=95124&searchButto…

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/#37.352693%2C-121.869965…

Buyer Thread
V

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Buying/What_reasons_delay_…

Michael
http://www.MichaelRobertsHomes.com
Hi Brian, according to the Mulitple Listing Service (MLS), this area is considered Willow Glen. Most of WG encompasses zip code 95125, however these are located in 95124, right near the border. Most of 95124 is considered Cambrian area on the MLS. Both are nice areas. Toll brothers has these units listed on the MLS. Would you like me to email you the listings? I recommend having a buyers agent represent you if you decide to purchase one of these. You do not have to pay for this service, the seller pays your agent, so it is free to you to have your own agent representing your side of the transaction. The monthly HOA fees vary from $390 up to $486 depending on the size of the unit. Email me through my website below to request the listings. Kind regards.