timmhe, Home Buyer in Diamond Bar, CA

Will the property's value go down if I choose to remove the inground pool? Is the current appraisal value based on the existing pool?

Asked by timmhe, Diamond Bar, CA Wed Jan 23, 2013

The property is in Moreno Valley, CA. Thanks.

Answers

6
Pools are funny things. Some people look at a pool and figure how much it will cost to fill it in. Some look at it as an expense to maintain and others look at it as a must have item. An appraiser will add value for it but some buyers will avoid the house because of it, others will require it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 23, 2013
Pools generally do add value to the house but in recent years there demand has shifted. Some people like having pools and some don't. Depending on your area buyers may have a different preference.
The appraisal should include the upgrade acquisition to the home. I wouldn't honestly remove the pool unless it was a definite problem or safety issue. It will definitely b expensive to have it removed as well. You may want to consider other alternatives as well, and the possible consequences it can cause. Please feel free to contact me at (951)358-9906 if you have any questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 30, 2013
Hi Timmhe,

In most cases, the value of a home will drop if an in ground pool is removed, or filled in with dirt or cement.
If you purchased your home with a pool, the appraisal would include the current pool in its valuation..

Douglas Lagos
Realtor, Certified HAFA Specialist
Coldwell Banker
Web Reference: http://Www.douglaslagos.com
Hi , to properly answer that you would need to determine the value of the pool as positive or negative number in its current state.

For instance , if the pool requires $3000 to repair and bring up to par, then you would be about $2000.00 dollars to the value of the home ( A standard old pool is about 5K on an appraisal).

Buyers will pay more for a pool, especially in this climate,however, if the pool is in severe disrepair you are better off completing a demo ( Get the proper permit from the city and a soils engineer if required).

Please reach out , I am great at getting top dollar on my listings! I also have demo contractors if needed.

Jory Blake
951.742.3751
Web Reference: http://www.JORYBLAKE.com
Tim has hit the nail on the head as usual. In many areas where the weather is not favorable year-round, pools don't tend to do much when it comes to appraisal value but being that you are in CA it will add value, it is just a matter of how much. Like Tim said, some people steer clear from pools because of fear for their young children. I would say if the cost is not too much, keep the pool as you might get someone that absolutely loves it. You can always fill it in at a later date if desired. Best of luck!