Jenniferlb44…, Home Buyer in La Grange, IL

Will our landlord sue us for damages? We have been good tenants for 5 years.

Asked by Jenniferlb4488, La Grange, IL Tue Jul 23, 2013

Never late on rent. We have some damages to the flooring because of the dogs. Some damage to the walls and ceilings in the entry way(but that is from rain damage not our fault)
We bought a home and are moving. We haven't told him yet but worried about the damages. We can't afford to pay for them.

Answers

5
I am a landlord personally. So in my lease I require notification if there is a problem with the house. If no notification, they have to make the repair. So maybe I would accept rain damage as my problem, but if your dogs did damage to flooring, you would be charged that from your security deposit and bill. That is what I would think is fair.
He will be able to keep the security deposit for the damage to the flooring. If you notified him about the leak that caused the water damage he cannot go after you for that.
hopefully your landlord is cool and will let you take care of most of it. generally landlords dont sue, they just use your security deposit however it the damage exceeds the deposit in most cases they still dont sue... most times the work isnt worth it.
Yes; if the damage is bigger than what the security deposit covers, the owner could ask you for repair costs. If the damage is from rain, you should have told them right away. However, any trained contractor or home inspector should be able to recognize the cause of the damage.
He can keep your security deposit... and yes he can take you to court for the other damages. Especially if you never told him about the leaky roof, and you just let the issue persist which in turn could have caused even more damage.