Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

Shocker007, Real Estate Pro in Phoenix, AZ

Will adding a ceramic tile for the whole house be preferred by buyers if i decide to resell the property?I am going to add a neutral ceramic tile.

Asked by Shocker007, Phoenix, AZ Tue Nov 26, 2013

I recently closed a house in Phoenix and I am thinking to get the carpet replaced by ceramic tile for the whole house and want to know if it will add any value to the house and be preferred by buyers.

Answers

11
Good Morning!

The Buyers I am working with prefer Tile over carpet as they feel they can put an area rug down if needed. It much easier to clean and keeps the allergens down. I have seen some really great wood looking tile at about the same price as the regular tile if you like to break it up a little.

Have a GREAt day!

Vivien L Biggs PLC
602-615-9137
Prudential Arizona Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 27, 2013
Is the carpet brand new? If so, you should save the money and not replace the carpet. As a Realtor, we aren't able to tell you what will increase the value of your home since determining the value of a property is outside of the scope of our license. What I can tell you is that some buyers prefer carpet and some prefer tile. If the carpet is brand new, that is certainly preferable. If you install tile, this is typically more expensive than carpet. Buyers do like tile since it is cooler in the summer and easier to take care of.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 27, 2013
As a "flipper", I tend to ad ceramic tile when the existing tile or carpet is worn or dated. I typically tile the home in all areas except the bedrooms where I ad a quality berber carpet and a 1/2" 6# pad. Although I'm wrapping up a mid-century Tempe home where I added 12" x 24" travertine, an unusual size, but it looks fantastic. I placed the travertine in the entire 1775 SF single level home using a brick pattern where the lines only match up every third row.
Not mentioned on any replies is the fact you need to use a quality tile. Cheap tiles offered at discount mom-n-pop stores and even big box stores may look good as you hold up one or two at the store but when you lay it down, especially in a big room with a lot of light, can look really bad. That is due to inconsistent manufacturing tolerances, i.e., raised corners, depressions, uneven cut lines and color. Pay more and it will make a huge difference!
As far as wood flooring, I would never use anything but engineered wood. Personally I believe nothing is worst than walking on veneer wood floors with their cushy pads underneath.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 27, 2013
Absolutely!
Those who want to put their toe into carpet in the morning have the option of an inexpensive area rug or remant.
-
Don' t go cheap.
Pick 'classic' patterns.
Laid out on a bias has real 'POP' value.
Those 1980's beige tiles are as much a liability as those avacodo tubs and sinks.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Move to the Front of the Line
(http://FirstLookHomes.com)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 27, 2013
All hard surfaces are preferred due two factors, first that allergens can hide in the carpet fibers and second that hard surfaces are easier to keep clean. Ceramic tile is an excellent choice, as is hard wood. Today's buyers tend to prefer hard surfaces.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 27, 2013
That's a great question. Although it is mainly a personal preference, hardwood floors, stone and tiles will almost always add value to a home and preferred by buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 26, 2013
My suggestion is that you look at the home as a whole. Is it just the flooring that needs to be addressed? What about the kitchen? Here is a website on cost vs. value on some popular home improvement projects, you can click by region to find more specific information for your area. You can copy and paste this into your browser.

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2013/costvsvalue/national.aspx

Spending some time looking objectively at the property and creating a spending plan with an eye toward resale may be your best course of action. Make sure you know what features other homes in the area offer, how they are priced and the actual sales price. It can be nice but be sure to stay in line with the overall value of the neighborhood and not over improve.

Fred Shocklie
602-330-1840
Thanks Fred for your response. I am doing this for the whole house including Kitchen. I already had a granite counter top. I am adding back splash and also tiles to the house and replacing the carpet.
Flag Wed Nov 27, 2013
No, if you lay tile for $5000 in your home it will not add $5000 in value (if that's what you are asking). If your carpet is worn and it will not look good for showings and buyer's are going to see that as an additional expense for them. Tile even though buyers might not prefer it will look better and cleaner in their eyes, as long as it is high grade bigger tile that's neutral. Don't go to crazy if your house is in an inexpensive neighborhood. Spend your money wisely, you don't want to be the home with the highest upgrades on your neighborhood unless that is what you prefer and you will get joy out of it for a few years, otherwise you are not going to be able to recoup your investment.
Thanks Franzi for your response. I am not spending anything major and doesnt expect to get 100% return on my investment. All i am looking is will it be preferred by buyers if i decide to sell the property down the road in 2-3 years. Again thanks for your advice.
Flag Wed Nov 27, 2013
In Colorado adding ceramic tile throughout the entire house would not be preferred by most buyers. Wood floors are what buyers want in living room.
Question was about a Phoenix home. But you are right, make sure you know the trends for your local community first!
Flag Wed Nov 27, 2013
Depends on the person and your tile aesthetic. If you do go the tile route, first to to some model homes and see what the builders are doing. The big builders like Pulte and Shea do a lot of market research to make sure the model homes are liked by buyers. Let their research help guide you.
Ceramic tile will add value to some, but not all buyers.