Home Buying in Millersville>Question Details

Leslie Jacobs, Both Buyer and Seller in 21108

Will Florida have snow birds again??

Asked by Leslie Jacobs, 21108 Thu Sep 11, 2008

Do you think Florida will go back to when snow birds could live there and not pay the unbeliveable taxes that are being charged now? My husband and I are ready to buy, and would like to move in a few years, but we are holding back because of this!

Answers

3
The taxes in Florida are very high as well as home owners insurance.
Also, be aware, if you live in a country club community or a community with a home owners association, those fees are mandatory as well
The Florida real estate market is a "blood bath" right now, you should be able to get some great deals.
There is a 61 month supply of inventory (most areas in the US average 9-12 months supply) so i would recommend waiting a few years, prices have to go down more to clear out alot of the homes on the market right now.
Oh yeah! There are so many reasons to be in Florida in the winter. Our heating bill is exceedingly low or non-existant, for example. Do included heating when you compare living someplace else, especially with the very high energy costs right now. We also have fresh produce growing here without the extra charges to ship fruit and veggies over great distances.

As for Property taxes, yes they are higher than in some states because we have no income tax here. Once you move here, however, and become a legal resident of Florida, your tax increases are capped. If you are a Florida resident and live here a minimum of 6 months and a day, you can still spend time in another state, but you won't owe income taxes there either. There are several other tax proposals that would change the heavy reliance on property taxes for public services. We have lived in several other states and overall, we don't pay higher taxes here than anyplace else we have lived.

Right now you could rent because there are a lot of available properties at attractive prices. Maybe that would be your best solution for a while. The downside to that approach though is that right now prices are very low, and you could buy something for a lot less money than a few years ago, just like most places.

What type of property are you looking for? You might be surprised at the affordable prices -- lower purchase price also affects the amount of tax you will pay. If you want me to send you some property listings, let me know by contacting me through the website listed below.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 11, 2008
Yes ,the snow birds will keep coming to Florida. The climate in the winter is so good that there is a continous attraction for retirees in the north to skip the winter. Many of my friends go for the whole winter and several others go for a few weeks.
I think that the recent major drop in the stock market has a serious impact, because many of the retirees lost a lot of money and are now careful not to make new commitments for a second or third home.
The issue about the home insurance cost in Florida will not go away for the areas along the coast. They are however much better for newer homes or more to the interior of Florida. I personnally like the hilly area north of Orlando . On our website you can find information about that area.I work with some developers and will be happy to give information about those.