Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

rdavid22, Home Buyer in Scottsdale, AZ

Wife and I are retiring to Arizona mid-2013. We lived there several years ago and are undecided between Biltmore area of Phoenix or North Scottsdale.

Asked by rdavid22, Scottsdale, AZ Mon Nov 26, 2012

Would like input on values in each. Looking for a property in mid-seven figures.

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3073237683-8525-E-Dixileta-Dr…

Answers

25
Kevin Owens’ answer
You have picked two of the best locations in the Valley of the Sun!
I live in the Biltmore area and was born and raised in North Scottsdale, so I can definitely speak to the pros and cons of both of these areas. If you like the Biltmore area, you may also want to consider the Arcadia area...which is also very popular.

Current MLS Stats for 85255 (North Scottsdale):
Annual sales (price/square foot): $216
November sales (price/square foot): $219
Pending sales (price/square foot): $226

Current MLS Stats for 85016 (Biltmore):
Annual sales (price/square foot): $139
November sales (price/square foot): $157
Pending sales (price/square foot): $144

Current MLS Stats for 85018 (Arcadia):
Annual sales (price/square foot): $191
November sales (price/square foot): $224
Pending sales (price/square foot): $194

As you can see, you get more house for the money in the Biltmore and Arcadia areas than you do in North Scottsdale. However, North Scottsdale has a very different lifestyle than Biltmore/Arcadia. There are great restaurants, shopping, and cultural events in each area...feel free to contact me if you need a recommendation!

Kevin Owens, LUXURY REALTOR
Previews International Property Specialist
Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist

480.217.9184
kevin@fineAZliving.com
Simple answer. If you wish to be close to the activities that the Central Phoenix has to offer and you are more active and prefer short commutes , I would then recommend the Biltmore, the Arcadia and then Paradise Valley. If you prefer a further commute and more secluded neighborhhods, then North Scottsdale would be recommended.
I have lived in all these neighborhoods and I can tell you that you can find great homes specially in the price range you are interetested in. But they are very different.
best wishes and happy holidays
rdavid22,
You have received many replies from various agents. The Biltmore and North Scottsdale are 2 of the areas, amongst the finest that Maricopa county has to offer.
I am an experienced agent of over 20 years, including the building development industry of luxury custom homes. At your convenience, feel free to contact me directly. I will gladly email you a few property reports for you to view. Upon our conversation, we can refine your search and desired location for the pleasure of your retirement home. I look forward to hearing from you.
Mary Cutaia
Realty One Group of Arizona
mcutaia@realtyoneaz..com
480-620-1339 (Cell)
480-683-1005 (Home)
We have no interest in building a home.

Thanks for the reply.
Flag Wed Nov 28, 2012
Hi rdavid22 - you have received some valuable information from agents in the valley of the sun. By mid 2013, values will most likely have increased, as we are on a consistent rise in Arizona. Both areas of the Biltmore and North Scottsdale hold the highest values, and it becomes a matter of preference in lifestyle, views, location. Either way, congratulations on your upcoming retirement and relocation. I would love to be the agent of choice for your new home purchase.
Amy Boenning
480-221-7040
http://www.facebook.com/realtymadesimple
http://www.AmyBoenning.com
The home values in both areas have held strong. Depending on the lifestyle you are looking for would help determine which area is currently & will continue to be the best value for you.
If you would like in depth details/reports on the various subdivisions within Biltmore and N Scottsdale just let me know, I would be welcome the opportunity to work for you.
Please feel free to contact me at you convenience, I answer my phone and also respond to email and text, whichever is your preference.

Jeff Crane
e-Pro Realtor
HomeSmart
10601 N Hayden Rd Ste I-100
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
direct/text 480-276-7991
email Jeff@JustListedSearch.com
Hi Rdavid22,
If you want convenience and are active with the arts, living in the Biltmore area is a good choice.
I have always lived in Scottsdale though and love what it offers. With freeways, everything is close.
We have everything that anyone could ask for. There are many properties with that price tag, just a
matter of what your lifestyle will be.
Call me and we can talk.

Sharon Glick
REalty ONE Group
Email: Sharong75@cox.net
There are many factors to consider when purchasing a home. Area amenities, community events, church, restaurants, shopping, proximity to the airport, price per sq ft, features of the home, and golf courses are all items to consider. Some of these may or may not be important to you and the best way to determine the area that you like best to start touring some homes. Please let me know when you are available and I would be happy to give you a tour.
The furthest northern point averages $612/sf up in Mirabel and Desert Highlands area.
Troon is higher at $714/sf average and Biltmore/PV is $569/sf. This is in mid to high seven figures. Inventory is highest in PV area with 80 homes vs 60 in Troon area and 33 furthest north. days on market
Are highest furthest north where you can possibly bargain more.
A confidential consultation to discuss your goal is important to getting you there.
Contact me
480-600-6213
Laura Myers
AZ Real Estate Consultants
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
Hi David,

I have moved halfway across the world and currently live in Scottsdale. I love the lifestyle here as do my many friends and clients both in Scottsdale and in the Biltmore area.

At your price point, I have no doubt that I will find you a wonderful home, given the opportunity.

Based on the two areas you are considering, the biggest difference would be convenience. Since I am not sure what your interests are, I would need more information to help you make a decision about which area would suit you better.

I suggest you visit my website at http://www.mariannetaback.weknow the valley.com where you will be able to view homes based on current price per square foot. You may also want to visit another of my websites at http://www.mariannetaback.searcharizonahouses.com which will give you a good overview of what is available in both areas.

This will give you a feel for what is currently happening in the marketplace. Once you have decided which area is more comfortable for you, I will be happy to keep you updated until you are ready to begin viewing homes. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully meeting you and your wife soon.

Marianne Taback
Solutions Real Estate
Direct 602 622-3903
As we all know, a happy wife is a happy life. Outside of the obvious "lifestyle" decisions, and by lifestyle, lets be realistic Metro Phoenix is a pretty easy city to get around. It really comes down to what type of home are you looking for? Are you looking for ranch style homes originally built in 1950-1970's on large grass lots and mature tree lined streets? Or is a clear view of the stars in the desert sky, with homes ranging from late 80's to 2012 custom home builds and cactus landscape fit your definition of retirement?

The values in North Scottsdale have had a tough time coming out of this current economy. It seems the homes closer to the "core" part of the city have rebounded quicker and been able to hold their values better. What does it mean for you? Maybe you have a few more options on getting a slightly "better" deal in North Scottsdale but what is better? Its all pretty relative, and I think over the long haul both area's will have its desire.

Your seven figure purchase in Biltmore will narrow you in quite a bit, so you may want to expand your search to Arcadia which has a similar look and is only a few miles to the West. If you find yourself loving the desert feel but really want to stay more centrally located Paradise Valley is always an option.

If you decide you are interested in having access to MLS to get a feel for yourself let me know. Best of luck with your search.

Andy
http://www.andygriffin.com
480-229-2393
Thank you Andy. I didn't mean to specifically exclude Paradise Valley or Arcadia. Either would work. I am just more familiar with North Scottsdale and Biltmore.

Thank you.
Flag Tue Nov 27, 2012
Hello Rdavid22,
Both North Scottsdale and Biltmore area offer the quiet, beautiful, relaxing atmoshere. I have helped clients previewed homes in those areas in the past. It will boil down to your preference. There is another area in Gilbert that also offer the same kind of relaxed lifestyle. Call or e-mail me today and I will be glad to send you listings on what is avaible in the market in these areas.
Grace Adewumi
Realty One Group
7975 N Hayden Rd, STE-A-101
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
602-769-0890
gracea@realtyoneaz.com
http://www.house2buyorsell.com
Good evening,
Just took a quick look for you to compare two similar similar communities, one in Biltmore area and one in Scottsdale in your price range. As you probably know from when you lived here before, the Biltmore area homes are still listed and selling at a higher price per square foot. You can get a bit more home for the money in North Scottsdale but of course depends on what you wish for in location/home style/amenities. Give us a call or email if we can help with a specific location or if you wish market data reports provided for each area.
Peggy Campbell
Scottsdale Homestore Team
480-236-0362
peggy@scottsdalecoldwellbanker.com
Hi David,

I have lived in Arizona 3 different times since 1985. My husbands job moved us around the country and every time we got a chance we moved back to Arizona. We have lived all over the city but currently live in N. Scottsdale.

As several of the other agents have said, the two areas offer different lifestyles and amenities. Your price point allows for you to live anywhere in the greater Phoenix area and probably be very happy. I would suggest finding an agent who can evaluate the two areas and have them start sending you listings to get a better of idea of whats out there currently. The Phoenix market is changing very fast right now and in your price range there is still a good selection.

I would love the opportunity to send you more information on our market and keep you updated until you are ready to visit and do some looking around. I have worked with several clients who started out as seasonal rentals and fell in love with the city and have then purchased second homes here. I also work with many clients who are relocating here for jobs. I am an experienced agent who knows what it is like to make a major move from one state to another and I would like to help you any way I can.

Jeanne Brandom
Kiva Fine Properties
480-612-1965
Hi rdavid22, I think the most important questions to ask yourself is what is most desirable - a close, convenient neighborhood or a quiet, more natural area? Consider 10 years down the road as well....you may want to be closer to the freeways, airport, etc. at that point.

Paradise Valley is a great blend of both.

Your price range also offers you the ability to acquire land and build something unique and truly you from the ground up.

If you need a reference for a custom home builder and/or architect, let me know.

Gene Montemore
gene@CentralScottsdale.com
Hi Gene: Thanks for the reply but we have no interest in building.

Regards
Flag Wed Nov 28, 2012
Call me at 602-503-4194 or visit my website. I will be happy to answer all of your questions. From there you will be able to make the decision that is right for you.
Have you excluded Paradise Valley intentionally? The Biltmore area will offer a limited inventory from which to choose at that price point. Your decision will come down to lifestyle and convenience. If you step out often, the centrality of the Biltmore/PV are essential. Retiring to a life of seclusion with the occasional round of golf, North Scottsdale becons. Either way, both areas offer exceptional values in luxury estates.

Love to chat more at your convenience.

David-
Web Reference: http://Www.DavidESmith.us
Both North Scottsdale and Biltmore Area are wonderful areas and enjoy great prestige. For me, I would encourage you to explore both areas since you have not lived here in several years. You will be much closer to more amenities in the Biltmore Area as opposed to North Scottsdale, but there are some incredible areas of North Scottsdale up in Troon, Desert Mountain, Pinnacle Peak, etc. The views, acreage and privacy are very appealing. It really depends on what your lifestyle is going to be, what you like to do, will you be driving into Phoenix every day and many other factors. Both areas are currently doing very well as the entire Metro area is experiencing a rebound in real estate prices. To truly give you a better picture of these submarkets it would be better to e-mail you some statistics.

I would love to help you and your wife in your decision making process and in finding your new home. I am a full-time REALTOR and work very hard for my clients. There are many great agents out there. Pick someone you like, can relate to, feel comfortable with and trust.

If I can be of service please call me at 602-390-8088 or email me at howardrudin@yahoo.com.

I wish you and your wife all the best.

Howard Rudin
WEST USA REALTY
602-390-8088
As you probably already know the Biltmore area is more established (older) and has a more urban feel to it. Proximity to downtown cultural and sports events is much easier etc.

North Scottsdale is a little more open, airy, less congested, less traffic etc. Might see more wildlife as well.

Sure not a right or wrong answer, it comes down to lifestyle, needs and wants. Affordability is likely a little better in the north as well.

On the value ticket, best would be to let us create two search's for you in a feed and you can watch the availability over time to get a feel for the homes.

Value is in the eye of the beholder (you).
I've helped clients in both areas and lived in central Scottsdale and North Scottsdale for much of my 25 years here in the valley. They are different in the look and feel as North Scottsdale has more of a Desert feel. The majority of golf courses are located there, if that's important to you.

The Biltmore area is more established and more central to Downtown Phoenix, Paradise Valley and Old Town Scottsdale and the arts.

Both are beautiful areas but both are quite different.

Let me know if I can assist and you'd be making a great choice either way.

All the best!

Bobby Romero

http://www.BobbyRomero.com
I used the zip code 85255 for your N. Scottsdale zip code in conjunction with the zip code in the Biltmore area 85018 (85016 is the Biltmore mall, but lower home prices there).

As you can see below, the average home is almost double in your N. Scottsdale zip code, and the average list price is almost double. There are over 3x the amount of homes for sale in the N. Scottsdale zip code, so you may have an opportunity to get a better deal (865 homes versus 298 homes). The value has gone up more in the 85018 zip code, but the value for N. Scottsdale has still gone up over 15%.

Home Values in 85018 and 85255
85018 vs 85255
Value Index $286,600 vs $552,600
1-Year Change +25.3% vs +15.8%
Median List Price $424,900 vs $760,000
Median Sale Price $257,700 vs $520,500
For Sale Listings 298 homes vs 865 homes
Total Homes Sold in Oct 96 homes vs 140 homes

I can pull more detailed comps off MLS of homes that are in the 7 figures as well. This was a quick search just zip code based, not price based.

I would love the opportunity to chat with you further regarding your home search! It does not hurt to get you into MLS so you can at least start seeing what is out there. Just keep in mind that the inventory is not extremely high, so homes are going quicker nowadays. What you see today, may not be there 2 weeks from now.

Hilary Lockhart
Realty ONE Group
http://www.phoenixhomes4sale.org
hilary@phoenixhomes4sale.org
All areas are great!

The Biltmore and Phoenix area is much closer to everything. Scottsdale is as well but if you decide on North Scottsdale then you might be forced to drive to get certain locations in the Valley of The Sun. Scottsdale will have much more inventory to choose from.

I would advise you to be open to all three areas, look at the best listings that fit your criteria, and decide on the one home that fits your lifestyle best. Phoenix and The Biltmore will bring City Living at its finest and North Scottsdale will bring desert living to the fullest with a short drive to points of interest.

I would love to give you a tour of all locations and show you the best listings, feel free to call or email me and let me know what you are looking for.

Juan Pesqueira
Lavish Pad Boutique
American Associates Real Estate
Homes | Condos | Investments
Spanish and English speaking Realtor
Realtor, Appraiser
8930 E. Raintree Drive Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Office 480-458-8007 | Fax 480.767.7200
email: pesqueira2@cox.net
http://azluxuryhomeblog.com/

Yes Dreams Come True, Let me Show You!
Great question - Both areas have great veiws and have upscale homes. The homes in North Scottsdale tend to be newer, have better views of the valley as a whole because of the elevation. They are also usually above the smog layer and a bit cooler in the summer. There are some great buys in Desert Mountain, Trron Nortth, Trron Village and Desert Highlands. The homes in the Biltmore area are more established and are closer to the Phoenix activities. The best way to compare is to view some of the available homes and see for yourself. Ask a REALTOR to send you some MLS listing of each area.

Steve
Prudential Arizona Properties
(623) 687-7482
As both areas are great, I would suggest shopping both areas and seeing which homes fit your wants and needs the best. Phoenix Biltmore area would be more centrally located, but both areas have fine dining and great shopping. The Scottsdale area would be newer homes than the Biltmore area as well, but then again, look into both areas and see which area appeals to you. Both areas have great resale values.

If we can be of any help in your search such as setting up an automated search of homes so that you can see homes prior to your coming to the area, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Brenda

Ron & Brenda Cunningham
West USA Realty
602-980-3133
Ron: 602-499-0694

**Recognized in the Phoenix Business Journal as "One of the Top 50 Realtors in the Valley"**

Search the Official Active FlexMLS for homes for FREE through our website at:
http://www.CunninghamHomesAZ.com
Each area has different things to offer. Much matters on what is important to you. I think you should look at homes in both areas and see if you can find that exact match for you. I would be more than glad to help you out and get you any information you might want/need. Contact me if I can help.
Both areas are very nice and they have their own personalities. If you lived here before, you probably know what amenities each area has. You can probably get more house in the north Scottsdale area for a similar price. You will also get a newer home than in the Biltmore area. That being said, the Biltmore area is more centrally located and has a special charm. Let me knowif you would like to startreceiving listings from both areas so you can compare them.