Home Buying in Century City>Question Details

Rsl, Home Buyer in Texas

Wife and I are recent empty nesters. Moving for job in Century City. Don't want more than a 20 minute?

Asked by Rsl, Texas Thu Nov 1, 2007

commute in traffic. Really don't want a house but would love a two bedroom two floor townhouse, or single story condo. Besides Century City, where else should I consider? Don't want to exceed $1.4. Also, what are the property taxes and insurance costs that one should expect on this type of property?

Sona Gallatin’s answer
Beverlywood, Century City and some areas near the studios in Culver City are very nice, be aware of the HOA fees, it can really be a huge difference! From 300. 1400. plus a month.
Your tax is 1.25% of your purchase price, and your insurance is .33% of purchase price.

Happy house hunting!
We have some beautiful new townhomes in Culver City. List price is in the mid $700's.Let me know if you are interested I can send you the information on them.
Web Reference: http://www.doreneslavitz
I personally like sherman oaks or studio city myself. My aunt lives off beverly glen in sherman oaks and takes her about 20 min to get over the hill into the UCLA area. This may be an option. If you need any help with figuring financing. Email me at ChristinaMortgage@Yahoo.com
Hi, Rsl. You are definitely entering a new phase! My husband and I have been empty nesters but they keep coming back! :)

There are some great answers here. You should look in all the areas and even time the drive when you have a chance to do so. Why not begin your search in Century City? We have a friend who lives in a condo in Century City and absolutely loves it!

Warm wishes for your great adventure!
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2007
Hi Rsl,

If you'd rather be in a condo than a house, the top choices for an under 20-minute commute during rush hour would be, Century City, Westwood, West LA, Beverlywood and Beverly Hills. You'd be safe with these, but if you're willing to be a bit farther (can make it under 20 minutes, but possibly not at 4:30 on a Friday), your choices will be a bit broader.

Homeowner's dues can vary quite a bit depending on the building (ie the dues on the Wilshire Corridor tend to be higher than surrounding areas). Insurance costs for the building are also generally included in the dues, but they don't cover personal property, so you will want to take out a condo policy for that reason, which is generally low cost.

Figure property taxes at approximately 1.25% of the purchase price price per year.

Does that help?
Web Reference: http://rd.la
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2007
There are a number of choices near Century City. Santa Monica is great city and has a wonderful community spirit. There are great townhouses and condos in the area. Property taxes are 1.25% on the purchase price. Consider adding the seller's cost of commissions to your side and reduce your base value of the property.

Ask yourself how you want to live as empty nesters - do you want to walk to restaurants, do you want privacy. What can you change now that you don't have to consider children.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2007
Mar Vista is a great place to live and has about a 20 minute or less commute to Century City. There are many condos available as well as homes built anywhere from the 1920's to newly renovated. Property taxes are about 1.25%. As far as one of the other responses made earlier. the property taxes are billed separately by the City of Los Angeles and not through your dues. Home owners dues are usually performed through a property management company that collects fees from each homeowner monthly and pays the bills on behalf of all the owners. Money should always be set aside in reserves for large repairs such as new roofing, termites etc.