daisywed, Other/Just Looking in Winnetka, IL

Why would your company take down the mature trees on the properties? After pursuing before and after pictures, there are no mature trees.

Asked by daisywed, Winnetka, IL Thu Oct 18, 2012

When a person wants to buy a home in a suburb such as on the North Shore, Winnetka, Glencoe, Kenilworth, etc, the mature trees are one of the most significant amenities. We can get a wonderfully built home such as you are selling, built anywhere "for sale" in this world. However, mature trees are hard to come by. Like 100, 200, 300 years "hard" to come by. Why would you not plan around them? Plan to include them as amenities?

Answers

8
Please clarify as to whom you are referring to when you say "your Company". I will be happy to check into that further once I have that information in hand.
Hi All,

So far nobody has answered my question to my satisfaction.

Art, I appreciate your careful description of new houses being bigger, and therefore there is no room for the mature trees. I understand mature trees may possibly break or crack and therefore supposedly dangerous. I understand and do appreciate that more than one tree is planted to replace a single mature tree.

Why wouldn't you plan your new houses to include existing mature trees?

I will answer it for you from my perception. Because we perceive that it's harder. Just like youth vs. old age in humans.

Where I live now, in West Ridge neighborhood of Chicago, we also have tree disease. I am losing the last of a group of lovely red-leafed Alders. I sympathize all who have lost their trees to disease.

When you think of it, trees are like friends, family, loved ones, friendly faces. I grieve for those who have lost valuable trees to a false sense of progress. I ask for a thoughtful new consciousness from Trulia.

sincerely,
Aria Norman
I agree it is definitely hard to see mature trees go. I live in Glenview, and the home I purchased had already lost 2 very large trees from its lot. As mentioned below, tree diseases have wreaked havoc on the area, and we have lost many beautiful trees. Many north shore cities do require new trees to be planted, and permits to be requested to remove trees over a certain diameter.

Paul Cionczyk| Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage |Broker
312-433-9931 | PaulCionczyk.Broker@gmail.com |PaulCionczyk.com
Web Reference: http://www.paulcionczyk.com
I agree totally! I was the first one to become distraught about beautiful trees being cut down. But unfortunately, we have been hit by the Ash disease plaguing the North Shore. It is breaking my heart but we must have 8-10 trees removed. I started planting Fruit Trees last year because the Apple Orchards are disappearing. Maybe a few of those would be nice & offer some solace.
Hi Daisy,
When an older home is torn down, the new home to be built is usually much larger. As trees mature, they sometimes interfer with the home building footprint space. The villages will require additional treees to be planted to replace those taken down. A large tree as you discribed, would require 6-8 saplings to be planted on the property to compensate for the one cut down. Trees only live so long before they become a danger of coming down in a storm. Some call this progress.

Art
Hi Art and Michelle,

I was looking over the plans suggested for homes in Winnetka. I am familiar with WInnetka, as I grew up there, and I now know about Trulia because my family home has a sign on the front lawn indicated that the building is a teardown and a new home is in order for the property. When I lived there it was creaky and starting just to be crumbly so I can see why after 30 more years it would be slated for a teardown. But there are two mature trees on the property, one is at least 300 years old gauged by it's height and breath. So I looked at the plans designed by Trulia suggested for this property where I was raised. No trees. I looked at other plans for some other properties in that same neighborhood, again, I am familiar with the trees on each piece of real estate property whose proposed plans I was viewing. No trees were in the plans for the other properties.

My husband being in the building business for 40 years, I can certainly understand it's much easier starting with a blank slate. This is no excuse. This is why people are attracted to a community like Winnetka, Kenilworth, Glencoe, Lake Forest. We all remember the famous incident of "Mr. T" razing all the mature trees on his property in Lake Forest. The uproar was astonishing. Mature trees are what people want in this "neck of the woods".

Trulia, if you want to do "blank slate" building why not go out to the acres of already-blank farmland being eaten up by suburbs?

I'd like to hear from Trulia on this.

Trees are not only visually desirable, they are healthy for us humans who only live a fraction as long as they will. This is their home more than it ours!! Here is a copy of an article by Steve Nix.

"The modern human community has other, more practical reasons to admire and honor trees. Here is a short list of reasons trees are necessary for improving our worldly condition.

1. Trees Produce Oxygen
Let's face it, we could not exist as we do if there were no trees. A mature leafy tree produces as much oxygen in a season as 10 people inhale in a year. What many people don't realize is the forest also acts as a giant filter that cleans the air we breath.
2. Trees Clean the Soil
The term phytoremediation is a fancy word for the absorption of dangerous chemicals and other pollutants that have entered the soil. Trees can either store harmful pollutants or actually change the pollutant into less harmful forms. Trees filter sewage and farm chemicals, reduce the effects of animal wastes, clean roadside spills and clean water runoff into streams.
3. Trees Control Noise Pollution
Trees muffle urban noise almost as effectively as stone walls. Trees, planted at strategic points in a neighborhood or around your house, can abate major noises from freeways and airports.
4. Trees Slow Storm Water Runoff
Flash flooding can be dramatically reduced by a forest or by planting trees. One Colorado blue spruce, either planted or growing wild, can intercept more than 1000 gallons of water annually when fully grown. Underground water-holding aquifers are recharged with this slowing down of water runoff.
5. Trees Are Carbon Sinks
To produce its food, a tree absorbs and locks away carbon dioxide in the wood, roots and leaves. Carbon dioxide is a global warming suspect. A forest is a carbon storage area or a "sink" that can lock up as much carbon as it produces. This locking-up process "stores" carbon as wood and not as an available "greenhouse" gas.
6. Trees Clean the Air
Trees help cleanse the air by intercepting airborne particles, reducing heat, and absorbing such pollutants as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide. Trees remove this air pollution by lowering air temperature, through respiration, and by retaining particulates.
7. Trees Shade and Cool
Shade resulting in cooling is what a tree is best known for. Shade from trees reduces the need for air conditioning in summer. In winter, trees break the force of winter winds, lowering heating costs. Studies have shown that parts of cities without cooling shade from trees can literally be "heat islands" with temperatures as much as 12 degrees Fahrenheit higher than surrounding areas.
8. Trees Act as Windbreaks
During windy and cold seasons, trees located on the windward side act as windbreaks. A windbreak can lower home heating bills up to 30% and have a significant effect on reducing snow drifts. A reduction in wind can also reduce the drying effect on soil and vegetation behind the windbreak and help keep precious topsoil in place.
9. Trees Fight Soil Erosion
Erosion control has always started with tree and grass planting projects. Tree roots bind the soil and their leaves break the force of wind and rain on soil. Trees fight soil erosion, conserve rainwater and reduce water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
10. Trees Increase Property Values by at least %15. Their beauty is glorious."
Daisy,
What company took trees down? and where?
Daisywed I'm not from your neck of the woods so can't comment on the specifics but I just had to say Hurrah!! to you. It is really disheartening nowadays to see how many people fail to realize the value of trees and the decades-long - sometimes century-long - investment they represent. Nothing is more depressing than a barren, tree-free landscape and mature trees add hugely to quality of life - and to real estate values. It takes *so* long for a mature tree to grow - we must treasure every one.