Home Buying in Bellevue>Question Details

Jason and Sa…, Real Estate Pro in Kirkland, WA

Why would you, or wouldn't you as a buyer purchase a home next to a cemetery. The cemetery is very clean, modern, and very well taken care of. Go!

Asked by Jason and Samantha Jarvie, Kirkland, WA Fri Nov 15, 2013

Answers

5
I think it depends on your own comfort level with these sort of things. If that doesn't bother you, then you may just pretend it does to haggle over the price and get yourself a better deal. The seller probably realizes that there is a bit of a stigma attached to being next to a cemetery. But also realize that just like, say, being next to a freeway, you may have a tough time with resale. So for that reason, it's also important to get the best deal you can because you may have to "give a cemetery discount when you go to sell.
Because were it me...I don't like ghosts and they don't like me.
The reasons why would be that it is always peaceful, many cemetery's are quite beautiful and you may get a great property for less than if it were in a different location.

The reason not to is that it could narrow the buyers you would attract as many find it disturbing to be reminded of those that have passed. Whenever you purchase a property that is "out of the norm" it will narrow the buying public, however, there is always a buyer for every property. So when it is time to sell, take into consideration that it may take extra time and marketing.

Are you looking to purchase near a cemetery?
inrtoduce your self to as many neighbors as you can get to answer the door.
Ask them for their help.
"What/why did you decide to buy there?
"What do they like most about living there?
"What are the area features or anmentites they like most?

Ask the same questions of the owner.

Then create the benefits or solutions strategy.
Consider the option of getting a buyer into the hosue with an FHA backed mortgage at 40% of listed price. No, seller does not reduce the price.
If you see a value or benefit in making such an offer, you should get the details.
would buy there ...not an issue
I sold a house this year that was adjacent to a cemetery. The buyers never had any concerns and are very happy. It just comes down to comfort level and price. Perhaps the property is priced more aggressively for this reason...or should be since some buyers will not consider it.
Flag Sun Jan 12, 2014