Home Buying in Union City>Question Details

Gigi, Home Buyer in Union City, CA

Why would there be TWO MLS numbers for the same house? It's a short-sale, does that matter?

Asked by Gigi, Union City, CA Thu Dec 3, 2009

We put an offer on a home 6 months ago - it's a short sale. The sellers signed, our offer and their realtor sent it to the bank. We haven't heard from the bank since and the realtor is not responding well to our agents emails. I have not idea what's going on.
I looked at their realtors website and it shows two different MLS numbers for the same we put the offer on.. one is showing Pending with Release, the other MLS number is showing Active.

What's going on? Why would they show a home as both Pending and Active. We didn't put anything in our contract that said Pending with Release.... why would they say that...are we wasting our time? Is someone trying to pull something here that we are too naive to know?

I feel totally lost. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Answers

3
Hi Gigi,

Welcome to the world of short sales.
Steve's answer is likely the case, it was probably listed on 2 different MLS systems.

But let me tell you that it is very common that listing agents leave the status as "active" until the bank accepts the short sale...which could take months (maybe 6 months).

During that time a listing agent may still accept other offers. But some agents will mark it "pending" and not accept more offers. It's up to the listing agent. (there are some MLS rules regarding this).

I know it's very frustrating waiting and not hearing anything. Personally, I think some agents are giving all agents a bad reputation by not communicating and following up with buyers.

I don't think anyone is trying to take advantage of you or your offer, it just takes a long time. I'm sure your agent has told you the same thing. So, hang in there, it's a good time to buy right now.

Don't forget, you can still keep looking for another house while waiting for an answer on this one.

~ Barry Ripp
Web Reference: http://www.barryripp.com
Gigi:

If the property in question was 3256 Santa Rosa, it is showing as active on the Alameda County MLS and JUST changed to sold on the Santa Clara MLS.

Another option (that happens a lot) ...

• The short sale was not approved …
• The property went into foreclosure …
• The original short sale listing agent did not change the status to withdrawn/cancelled …
• The new REO listing agent listed the property without checking the current status on the MLS …
• They subsequently accepted another offer and it’s now pending …

Without the address it’s not possible to know for sure.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 3, 2009
Hi Gigi, it sounds like the property was listed on more than one MLS system and the property's status has not been updated on one of them. Apart from that, your Realtor should be able to get to the bottom regarding the true status of the property.

As an alternative, if you are not being represented by your own agent, you can also send me the address offline and I will do some quick checking for you.

Best, Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 3, 2009