Home Buying in Ocean City>Question Details

Ocshopper, Home Buyer in Ocean City, NJ

Why was the pier at the 58th street jetty never re-built?

Asked by Ocshopper, Ocean City, NJ Thu Jan 24, 2013

Answers

3
Matthew Rydzewski’s answer
The original name of the fishing pier is "Pinto's Pier" .

For a century, the old 59th Street fishing pier stood up to the slamming waves, although for 30 of those years, it served only as a landmark and a backdrop for photography.

The pier was closed for safety reasons while it was still in private hands, and ended up as city property – part of a deal in 1985 aimed at blocking the construction of duplexes at the site.

Over the decades since then, there was never enough support to rebuild the pier, or enough to finally tear it the rest of the way down.

In the early 1990s, a small but persistent group of supporters fought to save the structure, advocating for years that the pier be rebuilt and opened to the public.

Now it looks as though Hurricane Sandy has settled the issue once and for all.

Since the storm, all the decking is gone, and only seven whole pilings remain, along with some broken pilings standing a little above the water at high tide.
The ultimate answer is always the same $$$$$.
That's a great question. I'm not quite sure why it was never rebuilt. I do know over the years many residents of the Southend have campaigned over the years to have it put back to its original conditon. It may actually be privately owned, but don't hold me to it... Hopefully someone can offer some more insight, I'm curious myself.