Home Buying in Stockton>Question Details

foml, Home Buyer in Stockton, CA

Why this house so cheap?

Asked by foml, Stockton, CA Fri May 18, 2012

I am looking for rental properties in Stockton, and find this property: 704 N Stockton street, Stockton CA. It is really cheap given the tree-lined street, beautiful exterior and huge sqft.

Is the location problem? Look the street name: Stockton street, it must be the main street many years ago.

Is that neighborhood crime ridden?

Or is there any other story about this property? Haunted house?

I have been Stockton a couple of times and it is actually really pretty place, the trees, the water and the charming old buildings. I felt so sad for such a nice place becoming a well-known miserable city.

Answers

1
Value is in the eye of the holder. While the city itself is picturesque, home prices in Stockton are still in the dumps with all the financial distress. This home would be a steal in any Bay Area city. But, given its location (#1 variable in real estate), it's just fairly valued. You would still need to put in a significant amount of money to fix it up and maybe reconvert it back into a single family. If you're up for a project, you could end up with a majestic home for under $500K.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com