Mike_krotcher, Home Buyer in Steamboat Springs, CO

Why should I buy in Steamboat now? Interest rates will go up forcing further reductions in prices.

Asked by Mike_krotcher, Steamboat Springs, CO Mon Jul 26, 2010

I am concerned the economists are right and Washington is wrong. Economists positon is inflation will roar again due to the free flow of money, rates will shoot up and slow the economy further. When rates go up prices compensate and go down so people can afford to buy based on the higher rates.

Answers

10
Hi Mike!
When is Washington ever right? When are economists ever wrong? Especially if you are an economist, or a politician.

So...here is my thought. If you are buying a personal, primary residence based on wanting an investment...then you are buying for the wrong reasons. Your personal home is an emotional buy; and there are tons of good values out there right now, especially for those needing to sell - getting married, getting divorced, empty nester, etc. etc. and people have a need - willing seller + willing buyer = motivation. Throw in MUST SELL NOW and you have desparation, causing a good deal! However, your primary home is never really an investment, now is it? It's only an investment in lifestyle choice, a place where your kids will be brought up, go to school, have birthdays and give you memories of playing touch football in the front yard.

If you are searching for an investment, where you'll eventually make money on the buy, that's another story. Steamboat's got great opportunities for investments, but don't count on most any cash flowing. If you are able to pick up one of the many condos/townhomes available at below what a seller paid for at purchase, many buyers would be happy. In today's market, all buyers want to feel the seller's pain before they will sign on the dotted line. And there are those available if you have the right broker dig deep and find out the history of each property to benefit you before you make the offer.

So, you're right on all counts - but in purchasing real estate, it's so important to look at what your lifestyle dictates and how the property is going to increase your quality of life. That's why people buy here; because they want that little piece of the wild west so they can share their bragging rights. For most, the clock is ticking and they don't want to wait to enjoy the natural outdoors, friendly people, and take advantage of giving their kids a place to breathe. Everyone wants to where "bottom" is. None of us knows. But I do know one thing I can share with you...the clock is ticking and you may want to ask yourself, how long do I want to wait before I decide to change my life, and do what I've always wanted to do for me and my family?

For more information, check out my blog below:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 26, 2010
HI Mike - let me know if things have changed for you..and if you are looking at Steamboat in the future. Good luck on the new job!
Joy Rasmussen
970.846.8678
Thank you for sharing your views. Funny how things change from day to day as yesterday I was thinking on my vacation to Steamboat in a week i would look at properties and consider investing but today I learn that on September 1st I am being re-orged into the global corporation that bought our business and no one knows what that means. So I guess I will have just a vacation and relax while there reading a good book or two and hiking the trails.
Thank you again for your input,
Mike
As John James pointed out, if you are buying a home using financing, interest rates going up while asking prices go down can leave you in a similar place regarding your monthly payments, so there is no great advantage to waiting there.

Instead, as an Exclusive Buyer Agent, what I am advising my clients is to create your own reduced price rather than wait for it. Sellers have told me directly that their asking prices today are inflated because they know buyers want to feel they got a good deal, and so they want to have plenty of room to move down in their price. To find that bottom we need to make an offer.

Be willing to be proactive to get what you want, at the price you want it, and maybe this ski season you'll be in your own home enjoying it rather than guessing about it. Call me at 970-846-3728. I don't have any seller's prices to protect; only buyers I want to make happy.
Web Reference: http://www.SteamboatGal.com
Mike,

Good question! You may very well be right about the interest rates rising. However, I don't know of anyone who has been able to accurately predict when that rise might happen. Essentially you are taking a big gamble for a potential bigger payoff.

Let me put out a scenario to see if it's worth the risk for you. Say you were interested in purchasing a 2 bedroom condo in Steamboat for $225,000. With an interest rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage hovering around 4.75%, your monthly payments would cost you $1174. If in three months the interest rate jumped to 5.75% and the price reduced to $200,000, you monthly payment would drop to $1167. Not much payoff there. It the interest rate rose to 6.75% within six months and the price of the condo dropped to $175K, your payment then would be $1135.

Now $60/month may be a significant savings to you. But again you are only left with "what ifs." Sure an interest rate hike of 2 percentage points and a condo price reduction of $50,000 in six months is a possibility, but is it likely? I don't know the answer to that. Is the gamble worth the risk? Only you can answer that.

A new question then comes back to you, Mike. "Why do you want to buy in Steamboat right now?" That is a conversation best had with your broker. How you answer that question can help your broker tailor a home search to fit your needs, be that first time homeownership or investment property. Good luck to you and I hope this answers your question. John James-Broker Associate-Coldwell Banker Silver Oak, Ltd. 970-846-0797
Many buyers are seeking the best deals they can find and negotiating the day lights out of their transaction in an effort to protect their interests. It's definitely the time to be cautious but in the end if the time is right for you....also buy smart!
Hi Mike,
As you know, it is difficult to predict when interest rates will rise but what we are experiencing now are lower interest rates than in the last 30 years. From the early 80's to the early 90's rates gradually fell from the 13% mark to 7.39%. All through the 90's there was not much of a change. In 2002 there was a drop and also a drop in Steamboat housing prices. When Steamboat was at the height of selling properties, and the prices were unnaturally elevated due to speculation & supply and demand after Interwest bought the ski mountain, the rates were still only in the mid 6 range. Now we see prices on property here as low as they have been in over 6 years and interest rates are lower than in 30 years. if you have the means there are two really good reason to purchase now - low prices (especially with all the short sales and foreclosures) and low interest rates. talk with a Broker to see the significance in lower rates vs. holding out for a bottom that may rise while you are waiting. Best of luck to you...Michelle Diehl - Broker - Prudential Steamboat Realty - 970.846.1086
Mike, I think it's useful to do some research, on your own, to see how prices have fared when interest rates rise. Specifically, the 1970s.
There is always a great investment to be had in Steamboat Springs. I have worked in this area for some time and have witnessed great investments and lifestyles rewarded from making those investments. Many sellers have a wide range of motivations prompting them to sell. So a diligent look at the market is certainly your best move right now. Therer are very big plans for that ski area and the town as well. Prices have never been better and interest rates are not going up any time soon. I'm not saying throw caution to the wind. I'm saying given your choices for Colorado ski resort real estate locations. You can't beat the prices for properties, the people and the atmosphere that Steamboat Springs offers. Should you require assistance or information to further your next move. I would be happy to supply that to you.
Web Reference: http://www.mikekrieg.com
I won't try to understand what may happen or give you an opinion of the economy. I will say this, prices in Routt County have never been better and your ability to make a great real estate investment in the Steamboat area are wonderful right now. With the new ownership of the ski company and plans for several improvements both on the mountain and in town. Steamboat real estate will prove to bare fruit for an investor for years to come. The market is changing every day there and a sellers motivations are different from property to property. I have worked in Steamboat Springs on real estate deals for some time now and enjoyed the surroundings the town and most of all the wonderful people there. There is never a bad time to be in Steamboat. !!! P.S. Rates are not going up ANYTIME SOON.
Web Reference: http://www.mikekrieg.com