Home Buying in Largo>Question Details

Patricia, Home Buyer in Island In The Sun, L...

Why place RealtyTrac listings on this site? It's useless scam type information that impedes successful house hunting! Get rid of the junk!

Asked by Patricia, Island In The Sun, Largo, FL Tue Jun 26, 2012

Answers

12
One more thing to note here. My real estate agent, albeit is a very nice person, has the same problem that every other agent that I've worked with...slow to respond and not always on the mark!

I find that when I work directly with agents, they set up an automatic search criteria that may or may not include what I've asked for. For instance, she's got the price range correct, but the types of homes miss the mark more often than not.

I've requested no HOA properties, no mobile homes and yet the majority that are sent to me daiily are EXACTLY those homes. And no matter how often I've asked her to redo the criteria for the search, I keep getting the same ones. And when I've shown interest in a particular property, she doesn't respond at all most of the time. And I've lost my ability to put offers in on the homes that I've been most interested in because of this problem. But ALL of the agents that I've worked with have been the same; so at this point, I do a lot of my own seaching because I can't rely on ANY agent so far.
Well, I can't speak to Zillow's ability to get their estimates correct or not, but for the most part with my own home they've been pretty close to the appraisal that I paid for. True, it goes up and down and whether or not that is accurate, I don't know. But I do know from selling real estate many years ago, what your neighbor's home sells for DOES affect what you might get when you try to sell your own home. For instance, after the townhouse right next door to me (mirrors my own) was foreclosed and only sold for around $50,000; my own home which was on the market at the same time all of sudden wasn't getting appointments for showings anymore when it had been very active prior to the activity on the home next door. And when the interest started up again I was getting ridiculously low offers around $40 and 50k when my home had just been appraised at $110,000 and had major improvements made versus the house next door which had none because it had been a rental unit.

Is Zillow always right? Doubtful! Are they always wrong? Also very doubtful!

But not sure how a Zillow discussion got started on Trulia's feedback forum....
Hi Patricia,

Sites value are determined by their consumrer usuage levels. Yes Realty Trac and other "foreclosure" sites often use a lis penden (lien) filed in the public records as a determining factor for a foreclosure...even though the house may not be on the market and may never be. Flawed logic, but there are lots of sites out there with "flawed logic"

I am always amazed at how many people think Zillow estimates are valid...when they are base on proximity to other houses sold and square footage without regard to neighborhood value, construction, upgrades etc. To me that's like a auto dealers parking lot. Just because a Ford Focus is parked next to a Lexus...it's sticker price and value do not go up...nor should the Lexus go down. Yet if people see a value they like in Zillow they want to believe it ( if it works in their favor).

Most of the websites out there are getting their information from the local MLS. Some update regular, some rely on agents to update their own listings after the initial upload. Basically you will get your most accurate and up to date information from your professional realtor, who should be checking daily. If you like checking around on your own too, have you agent verify the discrepancies for you. As another agent stated- agents only get paid when the job is done. If you have someone you are comfortable with, stick with them. It is a two way street. You should be as loyal to your agent as you want them to be to you. I feel an informed client makes the best decisions regarding their real estate needs. Good luck with your search.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
2539 Countryside Blvd #3 Clearwater, FL 33761
pcohn@prutropical.com
727-204-7155
http://www.FromCavesToCastles.com
VIEW PROPERTIES ON YOUR SMART PHONE
TEXT "PAMELA" TO 727-213-5142
Patricia,

I am glad that you are working with an agent. I would encourage you to meet with your agent and go over your home buying needs again. Regretfully not all the listings on the site and many others are up to date on there status. So you might even find something on here that you love only to find out it was sold 2 months ago. Trust your agent to work for you or get a new agent.

Jeffery Lonas
Real Estate Consultant
Keller Williams Gulfside Realty
727-831-6089
JefferyLonas@gmail.com
Well then, I accept the fact that it might pay the bills, but since so many search options are already there, they could simply add "no RealtyTrac listings" to the choices. That way everyone is happy. And yes, I am working with a real estate agent who sends my updates everyday. But I still go out and look on my own "just in case."
Patircia,
Your expression seems to be the outcome of spending time, effort, energy and resources chasing vapors. Seems you are becoming serious about you home search now.

You need reliable, accurate, relevant, dependable, timely data if you hope to find 'the home' everyone else is looking for also. You need to get ahead of the information curve. Aggregate websites are the opposite of 'ahead of the information curve."

Contact a real estate professional who serves the area of your interest. They can provide you access to the local multiple listing service, the only source of reliable, timely, accurate, relevant real estate information. (INCLUDING FORECLOSURES YOU CAN ACTUALLY BUY) Be sure to have a discussion regarding your purchase intentions, requirements and means of purchase. It a working relationship that requires trust on both sides. After all, the real estate professional, according to published industry reports, will be committing from 47 to 80 hours on your behalf. They should also have some trust you will follow through also.

Best of success in finding your Largo Home.
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://www.FloridaRealEstateMadeEASY.com
Hello Patricia,

if you know the city/area you want to live in, may I recommend contacting a local real estate professional who could send you "active" listings of homes that match your search criteria (e.g. # of bedrooms/bathrooms, size, etc.).

Beate Rodriguez
Lic. Loan Originator

Beate.Rodriguez@HGFLoans.com
Cell: 954.695.4849
Good morning Patricia,

Just like everyone has already mentioned it pays some of the bill. However, the site is still a great source information and many people use it as a starting point in they're home search process. I would personally recommend but if you are serious in your home search process that you begin working with an agent. If you are interested in a buyer consultation please feel free to give me a call. best of luck in your search.

Jeffery Lonas
Real Estate Consultant
Keller Williams Gulfside Realty
727-831-6089
JefferyLonas@gmail.com
No one likes them, but it pays for Trulia to provide a great site for free.
WT Heck?? OM Gosh, cut Trulia some slack!

I believe TRULIA should be allowed to do whatever they want and make money from their own website! They are not some government Not For Profit business!

My Gosh, look at what a great website they are providing for everyone to use!

In fact, everyone that uses Trulia's site should buy some type of adverting from them to help them, keep helping you!

Steve McRory
Pro Option Mortgage/ Florida
steve@pro-option.com
http://WWW.PRO-OPTION.COM
Ph: 888 662 4404
Two words. Advertising money. RealtyTrac pays to be on there and Trulia makes money from it. I agree - its junk and features properties not even available presently. If you want the real list of available foreclosures, see below.
Buyer Beware. But, I agree with you. Other scams that are all over this and other sites are for rentals. They take homes for sale and copy the pics and data and list them as rentals at cheap rates. When unsuspecting renters call, they are told to wire the deposit and scammed out of their money.

It's not cool, but scam artists are always thinking of new ways to make a new scam.