Home Buying in Mill Neck>Question Details

Glibgal, Home Buyer in Mill Neck, NY

Why most of the listings do not reflect the current taxes? Looking for property, but would like to know what kind of taxes I will be paying

Asked by Glibgal, Mill Neck, NY Sat Dec 25, 2010

Answers

9
Glibgal,
If you are only looking on Trulia, you may not see the property taxes, but if you go to the MLS website for Long Island you generally will find them on that. The website is mlsli.com. When reviewing listings for clients, however, I often find that, regardless of whether the agent can't be fined, as stated below, or not, they often do not include village tax. I am not sure if Mill Neck is an incorporated village with an additional village tax or not.
The other thing you can do is check the individual house on the Nassau County assessor's website. You will get the general and school tax there, and it will tell you if it is in an incorporated village. You can then call the village to get the additional tax information.
If you would like to contact me through my profile, or by calling me at 516-972-1687, I would be happy to walk you through all of that, and help answer any mortgage related questions you have as well. If you are already working with a loan officer, they should be able to help you out with that.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 27, 2010
Why not contact your county tax office. They should have the correct tax information about any property. This information should be online, as it is public information.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 27, 2010
What is the purpose of responding when you do not live in an area? I live in Nassau County, own a home here, and the majority of the loans I place for clients are located in Nassau County. Wouldn't you guys assume that I know what I am talking about?
If you locate a property you can confer with the county tax record website would provide you an estimate. Your mortgage broker will also provide an estimate when you are approved for a loan which can be include as escrow in your monthly mortgage payment

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I agree with Desari Jabbar - You should go right to the source, your local tax assessor's or tax collector's office. MLS captures the property assessment and tax infromation as of a specific point in time. Later assessments and tax amouts can be altered as a result of assessment appeals or abatements, corrections, deferral, or exemptions that DO NOT show up on MLS records until the data is refreshed again (in some cases as short as one month later or as long as a year later).
Hi Glibgal
I agree with Tim. I'm not exactly sure what your statement means. If you are looking at listings on websites that offer some information then you will not necessarily get complete tax information. This most likely occurs because the source of the information does not want to incur any liability if they are wrong. Also they may not want to go through the effort of contacting more than one source to get the complete and current tax info(school, town/general and village).
If you are consulting the MLS website, they require brokers to include the complete tax information. If they don't they may be fined. On the other hand an agent may be willing to take that risk if the taxes are very high and they don't want to scare off buyers or other agents. If that's the case you may want to work with a broker/agent that is willing to be transparent. If I can be of any help in general or with a specific property you can always contact me. Good luck.
Allen Bauman
Century21 Yve R.E.
Licensed R.E. Agent
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
516-791-3846
allen.bauman@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 25, 2010
Keep in mind that taxes should always be reverified no matter--therefore, you can ask your agent to double check on any particular property of interest, and you can also contact the local tax assessor's office and ask--if looking to purchase in Nassau County you can also check mynassauproperty.com --if you need additional assistance feel free to contact me directly.
I am not sure what you are saying for sure. Are you saying that most listings in the MLS system do not have accurate tax amounts listed or are you saying that the websites where you find homes listed do not include the taxes at all? If the taxes are not correct in the MLS system then it is a problem with the listing agent not doing their job properly. All areas are different and some place might require the agent to get the tax amount from the home owner, other places have great up to date services in the county where you can easily find the tax figures. In either case it is the job of the listing agent to get them and enter them correctly. If you are saying you can't find them online at the websites where you see homes listed it might be because the data for each house is limited and they didn't use it on that site or the local MLS system does not feed the tax data to the site.

Contact an agent in that area and ask them to send you the complete listing for any house you are interested in or find out what the tax rate is and calculate it yourself. Even if you calculate wrong you should be pretty darn close.
Listings generally reflect what was paid in taxes for the previous year. Some states do not reappraise each home until a certain month. Once reappraised, home listings will show the current tax base.