Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Heathertilett, Home Buyer in Baltimore, MD

Why is deleware county property taxes so sky high?

Asked by Heathertilett, Baltimore, MD Fri Jan 17, 2014

Hi i been looking at homes online preferably deleware county upper darby ,Lansdowne, drexil hill pa why are these homes taxed at a sky high rate ?? Is this going to get lower in the future or continue to raise like this , being a first time buyer i dont want to go in forecloser or a sheriff's sale due to higher taxes like what iam seeing going on here in deleware

Answers

5
Give me a call and I can go over all the information you need to help make an informed decision in your home buying. I am a local Realtor, native of Delaware County, and can give you an inside look!

Carol R.
RE/MAX Advisors
Office # 610-293-1616
Cell #302-494-7210
The taxes are what they are and my crystal ball shows them going up because school taxes will either be kept level but I belive they have to increase. There is hope because at this time there is a bill SR76 that will put School Funding at the state level and be removed from the local tax base so that would mean that the total tax bill would be reduced. Please call me at 267-934-1971 so we may discuss your needs and the area you wiah to live in.

Philip J. Cunningham Sr.
Market Force Realty
801 W. Street Rd
Feasterville, PA 19153
866-993-8585
267-934-1971
PhilCunningham2004@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
the cost to operate the county is higher, if they do not have any industry or commercial business for jobs and real estate taxes Michael Cohen 6106420347
The taxes are the taxes.
If the amenities of the community do not justify the taxes..YOU need to find a lower taxed community.
Those who live there have embraced this a the cost of living there...................and perhaps a preferred barrier to keeping others out.
The taxes are the taxes.
Why doesn't matter.
-
What I have observed is communities populated with higher priced homes actually have a lower tax rate but a higher tax bill. Lower cost communities typically have the highest tax rates but a low tax bill.
In you question, what is SKY HIGH the tax bill or the millage rate?
Basically, there are a lot of little boros (towns within towns, in this case) with their own fire, police force, etc. - which are also incorporated within larger townships. For example, Collingdale, Darby, and Colwyn are all part of Darby Township (as well as several other boros) and so the residents wind up paying for a bunch of services (police, fire, etc.) for all of these different sub-towns that won't fully consolidate - and therefore drop that sky-high tax rate - largely for political purposes.