Ms, Home Buyer in 21163

Why is both HOA Fee and Condo Fee is charged for TownHomes in Waverly Woods?

Asked by Ms, 21163 Tue Nov 30, 2010

For a Town Home in Waverly Woods, they are charging both HOA and Condo Fee amounting close to 250$/Month.

Will they cover any additional services. Is it normal to charge both and that too this much amount.

Is there any way it can be avoided.

Answers

2
Elliot Ward’s answer
Ms. Home Buyer,

Waverly Woods and the surrounding Ellicott City area have several condominium subdivisions that are also located within homeowner association-managed communities. Waverly Woods is very popular community and I would be happy to provide specific information about the subdivision you are referring to. Please contact me at 410-715-208 or elliot.ward@longandfoster.com.
I am not sure what town home you are referring to, but some of the town homes in Waverly Woods are condos and some are not. The non-condos pay roughly $40 month in HOA fees, which covers the common area of the neighborhood, the pool, tennis courts, tot-lots, etc. That price is a steal for a pool and fitness club membership.

The condos pay more because with a condo you do not own the exterior of the structure (ie roof and siding) and the care and maintenance of those is handled by the condo ( along with snow shoveling, lawn care, etc.). The condo fee seems expensive, until you think about the cost of exterior maintenance over the life of a home ($5k for a roof here, $5k for siding there, lawn care, gutter cleaning) and realize that it is actually a fair exchange. Also, the homeowners insurance on a condo is usually much cheaper.

I have sold almost every style of dwelling in the neighborhood, so if you have any questions please let me know