sharelljotte, Home Owner in San Diego, CA

Why does my broker want me to sign a cancellation of a Listing Agreement, when it expired over a month ago?

Asked by sharelljotte, San Diego, CA Tue Jan 28, 2014

They failed to realize it had expired, and continued to list it on the MLS
Want me to sign a cancellation of an agreement that has expired.
Do I need too?

Answers

5
If you listing contract has expired you need do nothing except ask the agent why you are being troubled with this detail. Is it because the agent wants to provide cover for his/her error? If the agent is uncooperative, speak to the agent’s broker.
Apparently there's a discrepancy about expiration dates between the two of you. When a property is listed in the MLS an expiration date is required right up front. Prior to expiration the agent will automatically receive notifications and on the expiration date the system will automatically change the property from being an Active listing to Expired. It wouldn't be up to your agent to change it. If he's asking for a cancelation he must have a contract with a different expiration date. You should be asking him to show you support for the date he thinks is correct. If he does in fact still have a valid agreement to list your property the only way to have him remove it from the MLS is to sign the cancellation.

Jill Miranda
Cal BRE #01413799
jillmiranda@jillmiranda.com
You should really have this conversation with the agent. If you are no longer working together then yes you should sign the cancellation. Have you found a new real estate agent?

Alex Greer Loan Officer NMLS #1056079 http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com 408-352-5147 AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Technically if the listing agreement expired so did the listing (it should be changed from active to expired on the mls). Are you looking for a new listing agent for a new listing agreement and new brokerage or are you wanting to sign again with this one? jFeel free to email me: justberealestate@gmail.com

The question is, do you like this agent and do you want to continue working with them. If the answer is yes, then discuss this with them and re list the property. If no, then express that to them and hire another Realtor.

Rashard Scott
RBD Residential
REALTOR®
Phone: 619-565-3604
Fax: 619-342-3332
Email: scottie1421@gmail.com
Website: http://rashardscott.backagentsite.com/
CA BRE# 01703306

Powered By Big Block Realty