Home Buying in San Marcos>Question Details

etcetras, Both Buyer and Seller in Los Angeles County, CA

Why does a homeowner who pays monthly space rent have to pay property taxes on a mobile home?

Asked by etcetras, Los Angeles County, CA Sat Jan 19, 2013

Answers

6
I agree w Del, if you are paying rent on the space, the owner or park would be liable for the property taxes. Let me know if you need some help in San Marcos, it's my home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 20, 2013
the tax your referring to is on the value of the coach/home not the land. Sorry misread your question on the front end.
Flag Sun Jan 20, 2013
Thank you all for your varied answers and for your time. It still doesn't make sense to me and it's not like owning a condo that you live in. Home-owned condos do not charge rent.

I'll be looking to buy a used mobile home in San Marcos or Vista for under $40,000. If you know of anything, give me a holler.
I paid
Flag Fri May 22, 2015
I guess because there are two different things. One is paying for the land you are parked on. The other is property tax to the state.

A condo owner pays an HOA fee and property taxes, so it's not that different.
It depends on the state you live, if your state considers a mobile home real estate becuase it has a "hud number" then taxes are paid on the home and charges to the owner of the park on the lot. If your state considers it a vehicle and not real estate, you may then not have to pay real estate tax but a registration fee. Other states break it down if it is on a foundation or is anchored or even if the axel is removed. Check with your local agent who can update you on what is and is not taxed.
I am not sure about the law in CA, but I can only surmise that you are paying property tax for the building or structure on the land that you are leasing.
They would pay property taxes if they own the lot (land), otherwise if they are paying rental space for the lot the landlord would pay the property taxes and they would pay personal property tax on the housing unit, similar to the DMV license on a car.
Hi Del,
I live in a mobile home in CA, pay monthly space rent and have to also pay property taxes annually. I do not own the lot or the land. It is a 2003 manufactured home that I own. I'm thinking seriously of selling and buying another mobile home in the San Marcos or Vista area and would like to know if I own the mobile home but not the land it is upon, why do I have to pay property taxes?
Flag Sat Jan 19, 2013