Home Buying in Santa Clara>Question Details

Philip E. Ca…, Real Estate Pro in 95051

Why does Trulia keep questions that are 4 years old?

Asked by Philip E. Cabral, 95051 Sun Dec 2, 2012

I thought I would see what the Trulia website has to offer me as a Realtor. I have been putting Trulia through the paces the last two weeks, completing my profile, identifying my listings, etc. And, I have found on occasion, and after answering questions, that the question was originally asked back in 2008?!

I get that agents get points for contribution in answering these questions but shouldn't those points fall through after so many years. Or, does Trulia, like a lot of job websites, recycle old questions just to make the website look active?

Seriously, 4 years old?!

Answers

10
Like any other websites, Trulia assist millions of potential buyers, sellers, real estate professionals
mortgage brokers, attorneys, inspectors and public in general with helpful information available at all times. Helping people to make informed decisions in one of Trulia's goals.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
Philip,

This is one of the best questions recently submitted.(thumbs up) One would have to agree that it makes total sense to delete out dated and irrelevant questions.

For example, "What grade would you give President Obama for handling the housing crisis?" This was a great post and one with relevance that has digressed into an open forum for agents to banter back and forth about issues of supreme non-importance.

Seriously.......
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Hi Philip,

The questions keep popping up, but they have a date which you can look at then ignore the question if they are too old to be of interest to you. Some questions and answers are good for many years. I doubt very many websites can afford the man power to constantly review old content to decide if it should be deleted or kept a little longer.

My own web site apparently has over 9,000 html files on it ... the web management software says it does. Trulia has to have orders of magnitude more files.

My main navigation menus don't point to nearly that many files. Some of the pages have been updated several times but have a lot of the original content from about 15 years ago.
http://julianalee.com

When you answer an old question, it probably puts it higher in the list of questions visitors are reading thus leading to it showing up again. Real estate sales is constantly changing but many aspects are solidly based on the past.

Juliana Lee, MBA LLB
Top 3 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 home sales completed in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.
-
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
Hi Philip:

Good point, couple of reasons are :

1.) Sellers and consumers ask the same question in many parts of the country or local areas.

2.) This helps also consumers Search online , via many fine search engines like
Google, Bing etc. When a "Consumer" see similar Questions, and answers from
different time periods, it also helps build confidence.

3.) Also by reading the answers from 4 years ago, it is interesting to "learn" of the changing
market dynamics as well as Sellers and Buyers thinking and thought process.

Perry
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
It all depends on the subject matter but many questions that are 4 years old have answers to assist people today, tomorrow and many years to come. Two weeks of reviewing Trulia is not enough information to go by. Only answer newer questions if you like. When you get a lead from a 4 year old question that you answered, you will understand then. Good luck and welcome to Trulia. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you as I provide Under 640 Fico Score Loans throughout CA.

http://www.under640ficoscoreloans.com/Pages/ContactSheryl.aspx
Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker – Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
20+ Years Experience
DRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
760-486-4225
I don't remove old posts on my own blog so not sure why Trulia should or would need to remove old questions. As others have mentioned plenty of questions will still have value years after they were first asked and answered. Not sure how you're finding questions from '08 - I just set the filter to Newest myself - are you searching by topic? If so maybe that's an indication of a topic that needs a fresh twist - you could cover it in a blog post or another question.
Not sure why points would necessarily be removed just because the question was removed. Points are points and we shouldn't lose that value just because a question is removed. But then one sure way to answer that is to contact Trulia directly. I've had a great deal of success taking any questions, concerns or issues directly to them with a great deal of success

Additionally, and this is only speculation and guess work on my part, it might have something to do with SEO and Google juice. The value of this site and other RE sites i.e. Active Rain is building and maintaining a strong website presence.

This is accomplished by the volumes of data entry, links, key words and key word phrases. I'm know techie or guru but I know that it's important to keep building and augmenting your site for this reason. The stronger Trulia's website presence the better it is for all its members. From what I've been told by just observing the SEO that my own website has enjoyed over the year.

We've been on he first page and have enjoyed the 1st place listing predominantly for the past 5 years because of our SEO and Google Juice along with the fact that we have a great website designer who really know how to build SEO.

That stated, he has also said that it's very important to be continually changing and up grading vis a vie deleting old material and adding new. So I think there would be some overall benefit in deleting old data without compromising the contributors ranking. But that's up to Trulia to figure out.

But I'll end by saying that during the past several years that I've been a Trulia member and contributor and used the linking privileges that Trulia offers I've seen our company's over all online presence and credibility increase enormously so I'm not complaining.
Many questions from four years ago are still relevant today. Some questions asked last week are no longer relevant. Who decides which ones stay and which ones go? One problem with removing questions is the fact that then the points awarded for the questions would be removed as well.

It can obviously be frustrating for a newcomer who wants to start contributing in a meaningful way – as pointed out below, simply look at the time stamp of the original question to see if an answer is still valid. In reality, four-year old questions typically get resurrected by someone who is looking to start building points who begins rummaging around in a specific geographical area and is either not aware of the time stamp or ignores it.

Most of us who’ve been here a while have email feeds set up so we get notified the minute new questions arrive from areas in which we want to answer questions. We don’t go digging for questions – they come to us. Others monitor the main national feed and answer pertinent questions as they arrive.
Philip;
It's not that big of a deal.
Trulia does not delete old Q&A's; it's ok.......really.
Thumbs up for a great question!

I posted a similar question back in July; perhaps the answers will be helpful.

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Agent2Agent/Why_do_you_suppose_…

Chad Gray PA, Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate
754-300-6040

100% of clients rated our service as "EXCELLENT"!
http://luxurylivingfortlauderdale.com/what-clients-are-saying/

.