Cal Caylor, Real Estate Pro in 75044

Why do you think buyers think it is better to contact the listing agent on a home?

Asked by Cal Caylor, 75044 Sun Apr 15, 2012

Answers

8
There are good and bad things.....
The positive is that the agent may have more information about the home than anyone else.
For example they may know why the seller is moving if that is important to the buyer.
They may know up from some important details, like when is an ideal move date for the seller.
Potentially negotiations could be faster if the agent has information for both parties and knows the best way to communicate with each.

The negative is the agent cannot disclose any confidential information about either party. They also cannot provide recommendations on what to offer. You put them in a position of trying to make clients on both sides of the transaction happy. You put them in really the position of being a transaction coordinator and not a negotiator. So how can they negotiate the highest price for the seller and the lowest price for the buyer at the same time? It's tough.

I think is some cases it is much better to have a buyer's agent. Foreclosures come to mind. There are some REO agents who never answer the phone, never return email, and very tough to hunt down to show the property or get any information. I can't imagine trying to work with them as a buyer. How would you like to always go to voicemail and then hear "Don't leave me voicemail, I don't return them. For faster responses send me an email, and then it takes 24-48hrs to get an answer if there is one. For me as a buyer, that probably would not work. So I think getting a buyer's agent might be better. One who is motivated and responsive, and will show not only the subject property, but any and all others. This will also often save the buyer time and money. Instead of making 10 phone calls, they could make one and let the agent do the work. I really can't imagine calling 10 different listing agents, setting 10 appointments, and trying to see 10 houses with 10 different realtors in the same morning and maybe even the same day. Having a buyers agent you might could do this in 2-3-4 hours.

There are probably cases where it works well both ways....
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
They think they can get a better buy which is not the case. They fail to realize a buyers agent will negotiate the best deal possible for them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 15, 2012
And represent their best interest by showing other homes that might suit their needs better.
Flag Sun Apr 15, 2012
Interesting - that they would want to take the easiest route on what is usually the largest purchase for most families.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 15, 2012
They might not think it's better....it just may be a case of the shortest distance between 2 points.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 15, 2012
Good points, Brian!

In my experience, as a listing agent, first thing buyers would tell me (those who contacted me directly) was "Get me a good deal - because you won't be sharing your commissions!"

That's not how this works, however...In FL, once I work for both - the buyer and the seller, I become a transaction agent and have to be fair to both. I can no longer be on any particular side. I facilitate the sale - making sure that both sides are happy. Both being the key...

All commissions are paid by the seller, so buyers don't pay anything regardless, if they work with the listing or buyer's agent.

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
1) They don't know any better. They call the number on the sign. I still have people to this day that think you can only sell your own listings.

2) They think they can avoid "paying a commission" when they work directly with the sellers agent.

3) They think that if they DON"T work with the sellers agent, then THEY have to pay the commission out of pocket.

4) No one knows the home better than the listing agent (like Bruce said). The problem is: Unless it is a material defect that legally has to be disclosed OR the seller has given the agent permission to share a few details, the Sellers Agent LEGALLY cannot give the buyer any of that great info!

There are just the few I could come up with quickly.. I'm sure I can come up with more.
I have often heard a buyer say that they want to deal with the listing agent because they will be able to save money. In other words, that buyer is driven by the misbelief that working directly with the listing agent will get them a discount.
The listing agent's name is on the sign usually...that's the first reason they call and ask for them. Many buyers think that's who they are supposed to call...they really don't have a clue that they need a buyer's agent to represent them. A lot of buyers still don't know that any agent can help them with ANY property out there and that they don't have to call the listing agent for that particular house. Even if we try to inform them of this on the phone, they often say that they only want to find out information anyway and aren't ready to buy. And sometimes they already have an agent they want to use...relative, friend, etc. and really are just looking for more information on their own.

I think it's mostly a matter of education. The Real Estate industry needs to do a better job of educating the public on how the process works best for both seller and buyer. I think that there has always been a degree of fear on the part of the real estate industry that if we educate the public too much on this, then they will try to do it on their own even more without us. But, really I don't think education is a bad thing...we all can't be experts on everything...that's why we hire lawyers, consultants, housekeepers, accountants, etc.
I could not agree more. Thanks for your input!
Flag Sun Apr 15, 2012