Ann, Home Buyer in 19114

Why do some real estate listings have no pictures with the listing? (These are houses that have been on the

Asked by Ann, 19114 Thu Jul 9, 2009

market for some time) Also why do some houses have no sale sign on the lawn even though they are active listings?

Answers

9
Ann,

I agree with Marge. In this day and age of technology, for a Realtor who takes the job as a Listing Agent, there is no excuse not to have photos (good, bad, or ugly). Even if the seller requests no photo (which 99% of the time I am sure is not the case) then an alternative photo can be put in it's place.

Imagine all of the other things that Realtor is not doing to sell the listing. We get ruffled a bit when we see zero effort being put forward to do the job right let alone just do the basics.

As far as no sign, that is a more common request that sellers make. Some folks do not want neighbors to know they are selling. Others who are no longer live in the home want to avoid potential invasions since a sign may indicate the property is vacant. Privacy is the most popular reason.

If a Realtor is not doing the elementary basics to sell your home: 1) Listing it on the MLS, 2) Posting at least 1 photo, and 3) Placing a sign on the property, then it may be time to have a frank and candid discussion with them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 9, 2009
To represent you seller , you need good pictures of the home. It makes one wonder that they are trying to hide the condition of the home.
Again, I agree with Stephanie! With tiny, fits-in-the-palm-of-your-hand digital cameras that take less than 5 minutes to shoot and upload onto your computer, there is no excuse not to have photos.

A buyer comment about the home being 'scary' is rarely the case--there's SOMETHING that you can photograph, even if it's the yard or the neighborhood or the community amenities! What those who don't post photos don't realize is that they are doing their sellers an injustice--if it looks horrible, then there still may be someone out there who is willing to work with it to improve the property and make it their own, rent it or re-sell it.
Web Reference: http://www.SoldByDebe.com
Most is SLOPPY REALTORSHIP.

A photographer contacted many agents asking them if he can drive around to take a front photograph (for a fee) so MLS listings will look more attractive.

-The answers are if you do it free we will take a look at your work.
-If I get it for free we will take a look see if we want it.
-Only one wanted a photo but never paid the photographer.
-Some believe homes will still sell w/o images..
-Many just ignored and claim homes sell.

Many realtors are out of the area agents use the cleanup crews to hang a lockbox. The crews are not skilled in photography. Agents feel price is everything in a hot area.
In my experience, longtime listings with no photos = scary or out of date looking interior. I suppose their thinking is the photos would deter buyers straight away without taking an in person look.
Our MLS goes and takes a photo if we don't, after a period of time. I don't know what listings you are referring to, perhaps if you supplied some links a local agent can explain to you why there may not be a photo.

As for signs, some HOAs do not allow signs, and some sellers do not want signs for whatever reason.
Hi Ann,

Your questions are good ones.

On the issue of "For Sale" signs in front of the home, this is regulated by the various HOA's(home owner associations). There is a wide variety of guidelines relative to this including the size, color, and design of the sign to not allowing any signs at all.

Some communities feel RE signs detract from the overall community appearance and can generate unwanted traffic.

Regarding no pictures with the listing....since it is unclear what resource you are referring it is difficult to respond but your concern is real and one that is shared by many, both inside and outside the RE industry. Most "multiple listing" entities have regulations that provide direction posting pictures of property. Many will not allow agents to post the property without at least a picture of the front of the home.

Our recommendation is that if you have interest in a specific home, contact the listing office and request to speak with the "broker." They should be able to assist you.

Thank you for participating in Trulia's question forum. We hope you find our presence helpful.

The Eckler Team
Hi Ann,

Picture are worth 1000 words but pictures also lie. It is nice to have an idea of what a property looks like before you actually go to preview but I have seen instances in which the pictures were gorgeous but the actual home did not live up the the images.

In my opinion, real estate professionals do their clients a disservice when they do not place images with their listings along with a detailed description of the property. The goal is to get buyers to view property and get the property sold, and pictures are in my opinion a good way of getting interest in a property, no matter the condition of the home. As least the buyer would have an idea of what to expect.

As far as signs, sometimes the homeowner does not want signs on their property or it could be a matter of the agent does not have any signs to spare. Again this draws interest to the property and can speed up the number of days that the home is on the market.

I hope I address your concerns. If you have any further questions, you can contact directly at 215-687-2629.

Happy House Hunting!

Samantha Weekes, Realtor
Exit Realty "The Tri-State Group"
1080 N Delaware Ave Ste 200
Philadelphia PA 19125
Ofc: 215-425-2200
no pictures - frustrating for buyers and their agents. reasons- maybe lazy agent, or seller who doesn't want pictures of their stuff, or maybe it is just SO bad that they figure it is better without pictures. Not sure, I always make sure I have lots of pictures in my listings.
no sign, again, maybe the seller doesn't want, the community doesnt' allow, or it was stolen (yes that does happen)