Home Buying in Sharon>Question Details

Denise, Home Buyer in Sharon, MA

Why do so many agents exaggerate on the square footage of a house? Isn't that false advertising?

Asked by Denise, Sharon, MA Mon Mar 15, 2010

Answers

5
Susan Costa’s answer
Square footage of the property comes off of the Public Record - Not all agents exagerate o push he envelope. There are many of us who are honest and trust worthy.

If you need assistance or informatio, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help.
Service with Pride and Intergrty - because if not, it will come back to bite you.

Certified Buyers Agent in MA & RI.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 15, 2010
If they are truly exxagerating than yes. However if they are using finished basement space and disclosing that the extra space in the basement then that is ok. This has been a long disputed topic amongst realtors especially when selling a split level or raised ranch home!
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
Denise,

When an agent lists a property and inputs it into the MLS database, the public records automatically pull in information like square footage, taxes, acreage, etc. In general, we do not question it unless it appears obviously incorrect. I recently listed a property that automatically pulled in the acreage as 1.83 acres... while the tax map showed it as .83 acres. I notified the seller who learned the assessor had the acreage incorrect on file thereby prompting the seller to ask for a reassessment.. which she got... with a retroactive lower tax bill. Moral of the story: Not all public records are correct.

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Berkshire Property Agents
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
Denise, This is a common concern. There is no set criteria for measuring a room. Architects, builders, homeowners and agents can all measure the same space and come up with different numbers. Some measure inside the wall, outside or from the frame. Most agents prefer to rely on public record. A buyer/buyer's agent should always check the public record for a reference. However, the public record could be questioned as well. Exageration is misrepresentation. Find out the source of the measurements and double check yourself to be sure if you are wary. Good luck.
It is possible that the public records are wrong. Some agents on here have said they would NEVER measure a house they were going to sell. They have no idea what it really is and depend on other sources for that information. I hope that helps.