Home Buying in Westfield>Question Details

John, Other/Just Looking in 07030

Why do relators list "virtual tours" that are just the same photos that have posted in a?

Asked by John, 07030 Wed Aug 26, 2009

slide show? If you are not going to post a floorplan, than your "virtual tours" are a waste of money and just annoying

Answers

9
Grace Morioka’s answer
Hi John and thanks for your email.

As the others have noted, the visual tour (which is the slide show) is used because it is less expensive than the 360 virtual tours. Also, for some of us, the "visual tours" are part of the package of services provided for the Realtor's use by the brokerage.

Most importantly, however, I use the visual tours because our MLS restricts the number of photographs that can be uploaded on the MLS site to only 9 photos. In even my affordable homes, I sometimes find that 9 photos is not sufficient to showcase the home. So by using the visual tour, I can include pictures that really tell the buyer what to expect in the home and highlight some of the home's best features with additional photographs. Of course, there are also many Realtors who do not add more photos to their visual tours, and that can be very disappointing to a person who spent the time clicking away to the visual site.

Thanks again for your post. Perhaps more Realtors will see it, and spend the time to add the photos that will truly provide the buyer with an enhanced view of the home!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 26, 2009
John,

There are virtual tours and visual tours. The virtual tours are the kind that have a 360 rotation of the room. Visual tours are the slide show kind. Most use the visual tour. The agents can load the photos themselves. It's just an easier way to view the photos. The virtual tours (360 views) are expensive and usually done by outside companies.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 26, 2009
Nope, first house, no realator yet. Still a few months away. Obviously your market is not like the one around here. I work 80 hours a week and I do not have the time to go through every house that someone thinks that I might like. Also, most of these house were built 70-100 years ago and have been re-done mulitple times. There are 5 bedrooms and 2 baths that have 1 of the full baths in the basement with one of the bedrooms, and the 5th bedroom is on the 3rd floor and it is really just the attic with walls. And with the sloped ceiling, there seems to be some fibbing on the size of the rooms. There are plenty of places here with the floorplan, it only costs $300-$400 to have some guy come in and make a plan with pictures. With the number of homes for sale up here, you have to limit you possible choices somehow. Ones with no floorplan are the first ones to go. I shocked that people are willing to pay $60K in commissions and not require someone to do this for them.
Ok then, since we have heard the two non-agents' perspective, desiring a floor plan to be available for most homes before they look, where does that leave your buyer's agent? I'm not going to have a floor plan developed just because I have a buyer that 'might' be interested...

It seems to me if you are looking for homes in these price ranges, you should have a great relationship with a Realtor already. It's not your first purchase. At that point, it seems you would know each other well enough to describe your ideal floor plan, or what you don't want. And to nitpick over such minutia and have such a negative spin on the home because that detail is not present in the listing agent's info-- it undermines your agents capabilities and brings disservice upon yourself. You eliminate your options... but who wants choice? ;)

I suppose the 'legal bedroom' thing is common in the North, and I can certainly sympathize with that frustration.

I think it's great to look on-line and do your own homework-- but at some point you will need to walk through a home anyway. Communicate with your agent in the right way-- and you don't even need a floor-plan sheet. I take great care of my clients, and especially past clients-- so maybe that's really the element you are missing out on...

Pre-viewing property is part of my job-- but only if my buyer is able to put his thumb on what he is looking for.

No need to insult a realtor, and assume " relators in this market have much more free time than their clients"... ha. laughable. Just shows how out of touch you are. I think most agents that are still working, in this market, can testify, it has been many months of extra hard work.

Kudos to all the Realtors who work hard, helping buyer's and seller's dreams come true.
I guess relators in this market have much more free time than their clients. How many 4 bedroom houses are available in Maplewood, Madison, Milburn, Westfield (the usual suspects) right now? How long would it take to see tham all (and if you are someone that can afford them, how much time to do you have to look)? If there is a $1,000,000 online without a floorplan (which you can get done for a few hundred dollars), then here must be something wrong with it.

I am sure a lot of you have been in the business for a long time, but the people looking have grown up with tons of info at their fingertips and a MLS printout just doesn't cut it anymore
Hi John,

I see you are in Hoboken. So many people I meet in Westfield came from Hoboken. I also used to sell and manager sales centers for home builders in your area.
I do agree with you. A bedroom that you can't stand up in and has a 2 foot closet built into the wall should not be allowed to be called a bedroom but as you know, it is allowed. I have a listing in Scotch Plains and I did invest the money to add a floor plan. Check it out on my website at http://www.BuyandSellwithLorena.com. Hope to assist you in a possible home search.

Lorena Barbosa
Broker/Sales Associate
Weichert, Realtors - Westfield
201-638-6528 cell
lbarbosa@weichertrealtors.net
Hi John:
I am afraid you may be missing out on a great house because it doesnot have a floor plan, If you are seriously looking to buy a home you should be going out and looking at them, homes feel much different in person.
thanks for the answers. Still think that is a waste of money (but at least Grace justified why you might do it). A floorplan is work a million times more than any slide show of the same pictures. No real need for the rotating room thing, but I really doubt I would go and see a home in this market without seeing a floor plan first. Just too many houses out there, and in these old towns there are too many things called bedrooms just because they satisfy the law's definition. Any house over $600K-$700K should spend then money to get a floor plan out there (and I would think ones starting at $450K or so would do it unless their floor plan is really crappy. I see $1MM homes with no floorplan. Makes me think there is something wrong with them

thanks again to all that answered
Hi John:
I agree with Patrick, real virtual tours (360 views) are expensive and usually used only on high end homes.