Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

Trulia Orlan…, Other/Just Looking in Orlando, FL

Why do people say to avoid Avoid Pine Hills and Texas Avenue?

Asked by Trulia Orlando, Orlando, FL Mon Oct 22, 2012

Answers

8
I ask again....we pay for this?
John,

You can feel free to state that certain areas have high crime if you wish- a great example of one's individual prerogative. I choose not to do so, though- instead taking advantage of Florida's open records laws and directing folks to visit the FDLE website and those of local sheriff's departments and police departments in order to get the prospects great information while remaining objective myself.

In my previous post, I said that telling folks to avoid a certain area could be illegal "if carried out in a manner that serves to restrict one's access to properties in certain areas". I stand by that. Not giving legal advice, of course, but Fair Housing steering laws surely remain enforceable- and those that seek to either send people towards or away from a particular area need to tread lightly as they do so and consider whether they're giving any appearance of bias.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2012
I don't believe it is illegal to state that certain areas have high crime.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2012
A very leading question, to be sure. Who are these "people" to which you refer? I'm with Jennifer in a way here- as telling folks to avoid a certain area (or set of streets) is not only bad advice, but illegal in terms of Fair Housing laws if carried out in a manner that serves to restrict one's access to properties in certain areas.

Areas they choose to serve and/or service are certainly each individual agent or company's prerogative, mind you. But perhaps the best way to handle things when one receives inquiries about areas they don't service is to try and refer any prospects seeking places in those areas out to a local expert that DOES serve them.

This could very well be not only a win-win, but a win-win-win: the prospects get to view properties in the areas they're interested in, the receiving agent has a chance at a new buyer/seller/tenant client, and the referring agent has a chance at both a referral fee and future business down the road.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2012
Who says to avoid Pine Hills and Texas Avenue? Very odd!

I am excited to report that I just sold a great 3/2 on Balboa Drive yesterday, right next to the park. It is a short sale and lender will most likely counter the contract price but then, should buyer not come up, it can be readvertised as approved short sale and should sell quickly. The homes that I have looked at as comps all went under contract within the week of being put on the market. Exciting times :)

BTW, whoever you are, I never advise any client to avoid any area. If they tell me they want "A" rated schools, I focus on those areas where the schools actually have received "A" ratings. If they tell me they want walking distance to shopping... you get the picture. If they tell me they want low crime - I give them the contact numbers for the crime stats and ask them to call themselves to get the stats on an area before they decide to buy....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2012
Yes Carl, we pay for this and it's great. I've gotten 15 sales off Trulia so far this year. How are you doing with your Pro program?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2012
Mark,
15 sales from Trulia this year that's good. I see your on Zillow as well how is that marketing going for you?
Flag Tue Oct 23, 2012
Yes, Jonathan, haven't you figured that out yet? They ask leading questions to generate activity. Looks like it works for you. 5 words answer and 5 lines of self promo.

Trulia, thanks for the great question. You really think any of us professionals are stupid enough to answer in a public forum?

To any innocents who happen on this question you can check here: https://www.crimereports.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Mark,
I was thinking that it may be someone from Fair Housing or Real Estate Board seeing if agents answer that question.
Flag Mon Oct 22, 2012
Do you work for Trulia?

Good Luck,
Jon

Jon Schaffer, Property Manager/Realtor
All County Sterling Property Management
Office: 407-674-5601 Ext. 5
Fax: 407-674-5631
E-mail: jschaffer@allcountysterling.com
http://www.allcountysterling.com

"The finest compliment I can receive is a referral"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012