Home Buying in Wynnewood>Question Details

Gauri, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

Why do many of the properties in Wynnewood appear to be overassessed? Can someone tell me about this? I am a first time home buyer.

Asked by Gauri, Philadelphia, PA Fri Jul 13, 2012

Answers

4
Dmknuj makes some good points about why prices on the Main Line can be higher. Matter of fact both Lower Merion township high schools, Lower Merion and Harriton were ranked in the top five local and suburban Philadelphia schools. Still an individual home should not be overassessed for tax purposes. When a home has this problem you can appeal the assessment and there are lawyers who specialize in such appeals.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
You get what you pay for! In this case you get top ranking schools, a highly educated neighborhood of professionals, a strong family community, beautiful parks, libraries, transportation, high end shopping, well trained and quick response police & fire force, proximity to the city with the space of the suburbs, and well maintained streets and public spaces. You could get more space for less money, but you certainly won't find the quality of all the best features found in the homes on the Main Line.
What makes you think this Gauri? What towns are you comparing to Wynnewood.

I just helped first time home buyers in Wayne and Villanova and helped clients relocating from Washington state buy in Wynnewood near Lower Merion High School and Suburban Square.

If you share the properties that concern you I would be happy to see how they compare to other like properties that are available.
Current CLR for Montgomery county is 1.61. Depending on the calculation, you should be able to make a better determination if a property assessment could, or should, be appealed. Good hunting!