Concerned, Home Buyer in Buffalo, NY

Why do agents overestimate in their listings? I know of a current listing for a house that lists the square footage over 800 feet over.

Asked by Concerned, Buffalo, NY Wed Jun 8, 2011

(and a price to match). In the house that we bought, the taxes were several thousand dollars underestimated. And our neighbors had a listing that had over 15 spelling errors- for a million dollar listing. These are the kinds of errors that make you want to sell your own house-- despite the hardship involved in doing so.

Answers

5
I get just as frustrated when I view listings in the MLS. Many agents either take on too much and can't handle all of the details and some are just lazy. It always bothers me when there are a countless number of typos and false information. It also really bothers me when the listing agents of million dollar luxury homes don't bother to write in directions to the property. They just tell you to get a map from the guard gate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 8, 2011
Dear Concerned,

I have to agree with the previous statements about measurments coming from public tax records. Regarding taxes being grossly underestimated -- the process of buying a house can be exciting, and during the excitement, we sometimes forget to ask (or don't know to ask) our agent show us in writing where he/she gathered those figures from. Hopefully it was just an honest mistake, as opposed to a dishonest one.

To address your neighbor's issue -- I would expect to be "fired" for making over 15 spelling errors on a listing, regardless of the dollar amount.

If you can stay in your home at this time, it would definitely do so! I don't know the Buffalo Market, but it appears that many places around the country have seen the worst they're going to see, or are just about there. If you can stick with it, I'd ride the appreciation wave we'll likely start seeing soon.
As said, sq footage comes from public tax record and sometimes appraisals. In my state these are both shown if known and they may be different. The realtor goes not determine the sq footage. Indeed we are not allowed to measure any rooms etc. As for the spelling, the data could have been input by admin staff, but the listing realtor should check this and get it changed. Often times many abbreviations are used as there is a limit to the amount of characters that can be entered, so some could be these.
Web Reference: http://www.janetford.com
Hi Concerned,

Just lazy.....in my area, this information comes from the tax records directly...so those mistakes shouldn't happen. But spelling, grammar, punctuation etc....yep, lazy agents.

K
One needs to choose their agent with care, as not all agents are created alike...As for the square footage, oftentimes it's derived from public records, and if those records are inaccurate faulty information occurs; as for misspelled words, discuss the issue with the agent....