archersf, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Why do Townhouses and apartments look expensive in San Ramon?

Asked by archersf, San Ramon, CA Thu Apr 3, 2014

Researching San Ramon to buy a single family home.

Excellent Schools (elementary,middle,high)
4 Bedrooms
Any suggestions?

Are Townhouses and apartments overpriced with respect to single family homes?

Answers

7
Joyce Chiu’s answer
All I can say is that I have been a resident here in San Ramon for more than 10 years, you cannot go wrong a home or a townhouse in San Ramon. Due to lack of inventory, that is driving the prices up. I can honestly say that while prices are up, rates are still very low. Best suggestion is to take a look at some of the homes in San Ramon and see what fits your needs and your current lifestyle. One of the advantages of a Single family home is most won't have HOA (Homeowners Association Fee) All Townhouses will have them.

Hope this helps. Call if you have any other questions, glad to help!

Joyce Chiu
925-683-2270
Many buyers who are buying right now do understand that they have missed out on the insane appreciation that occurred over the past 2 years. Besides other important factors, the 2 main reason that motivates buyers to buy is the fact that interest rates are still incredibly low and renting is insanely expensive! Town homes and condos attract a lot of first time home buyers who are buying because of they are frustrated paying high rents. Lack of inventory in the market coupled with low interest rates makes town homes and condos very attractive. For this reason, any home under 600k in San Ramon is selling with multiple offers. The best advice I can give you is if you are locked in at a great interest rate and planning to hold on to the property for at least 7-10 years, you will be fine regardless of the fact which ever way the market goes in between because you will be locked in a great interest rate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 8, 2014
I live in San Ramon & have sold property here for 26 years. The townhouses have gone up with the prices of homes. What has happened is as the entry level homes have gone up in price some buyers who originally wanted a single family home have switched to buying a townhouse which typically are less expensive.

What may have skewed the pricing when you are looking online is that the newer townhouses in the Windemere & Gale Ranch neighborhoods are more expensive. Some of the older townhouses & duets in the Twin Creeks neighborhood are less expensive but still nice. Feel free to call me @ 925-570-4841 if you'd like to go over different neighborhoods & values.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 4, 2014
Marco, Thanks for your reply. I think you are right on the mark. There is this insane skew on some townhouses in some neighborhoods. I see some of them over $200k since Jan 2013. My point is, I don't want to be the one to buy at the higher end of the market, only to find out another market/real estate crash coming after that. :) Already done that once, and is painfully enough. I will get in touch with u in time.
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014
No way to say why people purchase a home for a given price. All that matters is that is what the market rate is and that is what people are willing to pay for the homes. Just send me an email if you have any further questions.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer

http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com
408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 4, 2014
Send me an email and we can discuss out different options
Flag Mon Apr 7, 2014
First of ALL, I am sick and tired of this CRAPPY interface trulia has. My God, I spent so much time typing replies to all of you and everything vanished. this is the third time and did the same thing. Now I know that I need to reply to one of you at a time and refresh the page before starting to answer another one. Seriously!
--------------------------------------------------
Alex, Thx for your reply.

About me: Current home owner with excellent credit. Trying to rent my current 4 bedroom home in SSF and buy a similar one in San Ramon. Mortgage payments shouldn't be an issue but down payment might be.
What kind of loans are popular these days? what do you suggest?

Thx
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014
I understand your concern it does seem a little odd. San Ramon is a very desirable area. Especially in the summer time. Everyday is awesome and comfortable. It gets a little windy but for the most part it is a nice place to live. There was a time when San Ramon wasn't as accessible or convenient as it is now. But since then a lot of construction has been done and improvements have been made to where you don't have to travel to shop or go out your way for leisure. This is the reason for the increase in property value because people were willing to spend more to have those conveniences. 4 bedrooms is not out of the question. Feel free to contact me to learn more about this area. You could even call me now if you like.

Keith L. Bosworth
Arise Realty
510-931-3197
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 3, 2014
Keith Thanks for your reply and I understand your point. My question is what is to stop more construction in the future and dilute the supply. I see plenty of space available to build more. Again, I understand the other side of my argument too, unfortunately. There is going to be humongous influx of "people" coming in to create the demand too.

Thx, I will get in touch with you in time.
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014
San Ramon is the most affluent community in the United States....and it has great schools, low crime, and more parks per capita than almost every other city in the nation.

The trend these days is smaller rather than larger. There are a lot of young professionals in the market right now looking for low maintenance homes...and they have the money and the buying power to bid prices up to get the home they want.

What is your price range?

chagley@pruca.com
thehagleygroup.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 3, 2014
Cindi, Thanks for your quick reply. I understand your point.
I don't have a price range in mind but a good value. Lets see,

3+ Bedroom (4+ preferred)
Exceptional schools a must
great neighborhood a plus
appx. under $800k

Thx
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
It's mostly relative to area of San Ramon and age of property. There are some decently priced condo/townhomes in San Ramon but it depends on your wants/needs. There are also some great neighborhoods, with great schools but homes built in 70s. Feel free to contact myself or your agent for more details and to discuss where to get the most home for your money in San Ramon.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 3, 2014
archersf - I just wanted to thank you for taking so much time to answer and thank each and every one of us who tried best to answer your question...it is rare and should be commended. Thanks!
Flag Tue Apr 8, 2014
.
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014
Thanks Shawna for a very quick answer. I am indeed looking for a decently priced home in a great neighborhood with exceptional schools and parks.
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014