Drdjl, Home Buyer in Camelback East, Phoe...

Why did someone build a giant house from Gilbert in a quaint Phoenix 1950's neighborhood? This thing looks like a turd in a punch bowl.

Asked by Drdjl, Camelback East, Phoenix, AZ Thu May 17, 2012

Out of place and destroyed the whole appeal of the nice little ramblers on the street!

Answers

10
I just thoroughly enjoyed the expression, "Turd in a punchbowl" its been years since I heard it and forgot how effective it can be!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 2, 2012
So why not invite the owners for dinner and ask them??
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 18, 2012
i had siri scratching her head on this one. And google pointed me back to you..
Well being some what new to the Phoenix area I can see a motive behind it. I just moved here from Houston where there has a been a large influx of affluent folks moving from the suburbs back into the downtown neighborhoods. A lot of the people that did this were tired of spending time commuting back and forth to their job and interests outside of work. So, if they were lucky they found a decent size lot while it was cheap (before developers came in) and built a house they could feel comfortable in. The overall idea is that these people are not buying the house, they just want the land fore its location and conveniece (and future value).
I chortled out loud at your question. Thanks for that. Though this house is gorgeous, it is very out of place on this tiny street. There are actually two huge houses (turds to be sure) on what was one large lot with a smallish house that was torn down, not to mention the remodel (come on, who's kidding - they tore down everything but the beds & baths and built a large turd around what was left) just to the south of there on a regular size lot. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. There are two/three 2500+ sf homes with 5 bedroom 3 baths, with virtually NO yard. Who wants that? These new builds are no where near appropriately sized to the lots! I helped my best friend move out of the property where there are now two houses AND I helped his mother-in-law (my second Mom) move and ready for sale the property to the south of him (still under remodel). I'm now regretting cleaning and sweeping all the floors when we left for the last times. Let's see if this part gets edited out. These properties are on 41st Street in Phoenix. From 40th St, go to Cheery Lynn, turn East on Cheery Lynn to 41st St. You can't miss the behemoths in front of you at the T in the road at 41st St.
I think the house you are referring to is on 50th Place, just south of Indian School in the Arcadia neighborhood. It is really an obvious misplacement for this type of neighborhood. The nondescript mid-50's architecture in the neighborhood lends itself to many styles when endeavoring to remodel or restyle, but Tuscan is not the best choice. A brand new house that was built down the street on a lot where the house was torn down fits in quite nicely as it is cottage like and appropriately sized for the lot.
I would love to see where this house is at. Can you disclose the address/cross streets/location?
Because they could, wanted to and had the money?

Actually one of the advantages of Home Owner Associations is the conformity, some love it and some don't.
You know what they say about the size of a man's turd...
Your guess is as good as anybody's. A lot of money with not a lot of sense often ends up with silly results.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com