Home Buying in Saint Joseph>Question Details

Laurallison, Home Buyer in Savannah, MO

Why are the sq ft listed on Trulia so far off? My home is 1400 sq ft and appears as 770. My realtor says she has no control over that...

Asked by Laurallison, Savannah, MO Thu May 31, 2012

Answers

4
It is supposed to feed in from your local multiple listing service. Trulia is not always accurate. They posted one of my listings with photos from another listing. One listing still hasn't shown up even after the Trulia team entered it for me. They have a few glitches. I would recommend directly calling a team member with Trulia to have them manually change the square footage. That is a huge difference! And Trulia does have a very strong following and large audience.
If you'd want to send me a message with your address, I'd be happy to look up what is listed in our MLS system vs what is listed on Trulia to try and figure out where the problem is. We do fight with getting the information accurate on Trulia a lot.
It's 2 full story - it seems that the MLS feed either doesn't take into account any of the 3 bedrooms, or it doesn't take into account the living/ dining/kitchen... it is a 100 yr old house. I wonder if that has something to do with it... maybe the MLS feed is just wrong.
what is the legal sq footage of the home in the tax records? What is listed in Trulia is taken from the MLS feed, but the MLS feed has rules on what can be counted. For example in the st louis area, we don't count basements or garages or anything that is below ground level in the case of split level homes. Other parts of the country do count those areas. In addition, in homes that are 1.5 story vs 2 story, the area on the second floor that does not have a floor is not counted (ie you can't just double the sq ft for the first floor and count it. If you have steep ceilings, the area at the side of the room that is less than a certain height (about 5') isn't counted because you can't stand up in that area.