Home Buying in North Port>Question Details

Frank, Both Buyer and Seller in 13501

Why are the housing prices in North Port cheaper than the surrounding areas?

Asked by Frank, 13501 Sun Nov 8, 2009

Even some new construction homes seem ridiculously low. I'm thinking of retiring soon and North Port seems like a decent place to relocate plus I might get the best bang for my buck there even more so with a short sale, although I would be kind of leery getting involved with one.

Answers

10
Deb Bean Guinto’s answer
Hi Frank,
Yes, North Port has a lot to offer for your money as builders, developers and investors saw years back and invested a lot of money in North Port. As the market slowed, then came to a screeching halt, people lost jobs and homes went to short sales and foreclosures, hence the fantastic buys and opportunites of today.
I worked for builders and developers and they thought they had years to build before the crash hit them. It is a great chance for many people to find an affordable home in Paradise now due to the circumstances. North Port has much to offer, it is close to beaches, restaurants, shopping and easily accessible to I-75 to reach Sarasota and St. Armands for a more "cultural and art appreciation" experience.

North Port recently got it's own medical center and much is in the works for great things to come.
I would be happy to help you find your home in Paradise.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 9, 2009
Your money most definetely buys a lot in North Port. A few years ago there was a huge interest in North Port and just about every major builder swept down upon the area. They began building new developments and spec homes and then....the market crashed. Many builder homes have been abandoned, and many homeowners have simply have moved from the area, a lot through foreclosure.
A newly developed town with all amenities...close to the beaches of Venice and Sarasota...
You can view all homes available in North Port for sale on my website, and I am happy to answer any questions that you might have regarding the area! Thanks for the interest~ Hollie
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
I live in North Port and we are active, we have to travel a little further for restaurants, beach and the arts, but we love the space. There are unfinished and abandoned homes, but they are not on every block. This is the fourth largest city land wise in the state of Florida with 55,000 population. You can get some real bargains in North Port. It's a great growing city with plenty of room to grow. Please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to show what we have to offer here in North Port.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 9, 2009
I have a home in North Port and I am Canadian! i love it there, the crime rate is low and most amenities are nearby or not too far a drive. Siesta Key is 30 mins away and its one of the best beaches on the gulf coast.
Downtown Sarasota is not too far a drive away, where there are lots of restaurants and shops. The people in North Port are super friendly and in a couple of years the real estate market will climb back up. Also, I see a lot of infrastructure being built in North Port. The govenrment still continues to fix the roads etc so that is a very good sign. North Port is also immensely quiet for rest and relaxation. I dont think that anyone would regret buying in North Port. So far, we have been multiple times to our home there and we absolutely love it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 9, 2009
Good question Frank,

First determine "what makes me happy" and go from there. I think you should carefully study all of the areas of Sarasota County. If owning a 2800 sq ft 4/3 pool home is hight on you list then Nort Port is a great place to be. Many people are quite content puttering around the house ( that would be me ) and don't need social calender full of activities to be happy.

If however you are always on the go, love the beach and social activities are part of your daily routine then maybe less house and a higher demand location like Sarasota is for you. you will never run out of new and interesting things to do in this city. Iits all about supply and demand. Sarasota is a great place to live but you pay for it and right now it's approximately twice the price of North Port Check out my web site and give me a call if you want to talk about all of your options... Thats my $00.02bg

http://www.ValueSarasotaHomes.com BillGarrison.realty@Gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Nicki is right as she put it so eloquently, "if you are a fairly inactive person and just want a place in the sun, then you'll get a lot for your money in North Port. If you are active and like to do things, like eat in nice restaurants and go to the theater, than North Port is probably not for you.".... Meaning that North Port is great for retirees and home-bodys. It was the place to find more affordable homes during the overpriced boom period or 2004-2005. Now it's a sea of vacant foreclosures and empty lots. I've found several homes for my buyers, near downtown Sarasota and close to the beaches and activity centers for well under $100K. If you're serious about getting into some undervalued properties in Sarasota, then please call me at 941-349-6465.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Hi Frank,

Hollie is correct about what occurred in North Port. I just want to say that I live in North Port and I think that it is a great place to live and I think that you would enjoy living here. Also you sound like you have time to spare so I would not be too leery about going after a short sale because if you are patient you can get a real good buy. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please feel free to contact me.

Anne Kyer, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Sunstar Realty, Inc.
941-627-8128

Anne.Kyer@ColdwellBankerFlorida.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Thanks to everyone here for their input, it has been very helpful. From the sounds of it, North Port may be just a little too low key for me and my wife. We are in our mid forties and still are pretty active. I guess we should be looking for something in a more metropolitan area like Sarasota, Cape Coral or even further south like Naples. Ideally, we would like to find a newer construction, 3/2/2 pool priced reasonably. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frank
Hi Frank
North Port isn't for everyone. Back in the HOT period, there were a lot of builders who were planning some nice developments there. Farther north in Sarasota, there's no land available for new developments, so North Port was a good choice. There were new schools and new infrastructure planned as a result of all the new upcoming developments. That didn't happen. Hence, you have a lot of builders who went belly up and vacant homes sitting in unfinished developments. I'd say if you are a fairly inactive person and just want a place in the sun, then you'll get a lot for your money in North Port. If you are active and like to do things, like eat in nice restaurants and go to the theater, than North Port is probably not for you.

Thanks for your interest and if you need more information about the area, please see my website at http://www.SarasotaisConwayCountry.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Yes Frank,
New homes are about 60% less as building costs and landprices have declined., especially in North Port where these are vast inventories of lots for sale. Also, North Port lacks the cultural and natural amenities of Sarasota., which is why you can find some real bargains there. I had invested in some lots in North Port and have a good knowledge of the area, but you might want to consider some of the bargains available in Sarasota as they may hold value better than North Port. Visit my website or call me at 941-349-6465 if you have questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009