Home Buying in Lords Valley>Question Details

absj, Home Buyer in Milford, PA

Why are the association dues out of sight in Hemlock Farms????

Asked by absj, Milford, PA Sun Jul 29, 2012

Answers

8
We are residents of Hemlock Farms; we get so much for the $ which is approximately $172 a month. For this, you receive use of the fitness center, indoor/outdoor pools, sauna, steam room, garbage pickup, road maintenance, tennis courts, bocce court, lakes, kayaking, fishing, hiking trails, baseball fields and more. Add Advanced Life Support, public safety and the fire dept. to ensure peace of mind. All spread out over 4500 acres. There is a library, churches of various faiths and a grocery store right outside the entrance. Route 84 is minutes away to for easy commutes to NJ and NY. Spend some time at nearby Lake Wallenpaupack, artsy Milford, Promised land state park, touring waterfalls, nature centers etc. The list goes on and on; there are plenty of activities and clubs if residents are interested or you can enjoy the tranquilty of nature looking out your windows or sitting on your deck at any time. All of these privleges are priceless. Great place to settle, vacation at and/or retire. Low taxes. I am a certified teacher in el. and special ed. I was satisfied and delighted with the education my children receieved. I have met life-long friends there. Come and take a tour anytime; I'd be glad to show you around and/or answer any questions you have. I did the same thing before moving to Hemlock Farms. The staff is very helpful there. I am a proud home owner at Hemlock Farms and it has been my pleasure to sell homes in Hemlock Farms.
Sounds like a SALES PITCH since you sell homes. $2000 a year, plus taxes is almost what I pay in NY. HOW MUCH ARE THE HOMES SELLING FOR ON AVERAGE? Pocono Woodland Lakes has similar amenities & is MUCH cheaper about $800. shooter_9mm@yahoo.com
Flag Sat Jan 3, 2015
Lived in Hemlock for 14 years. Better think twice before moving there. It is wonderful if you like the active lifestyle but the majority of the people who live there are middle class trying to make ends meet and don't have the time for it all. The community is mainly geared towards those who have a second home there and are snowbirds and are rich. And you better not try to change things. I had belonged to so many committees throughout the years trying to make life better and more fun for those of us that live there year round and lets just say the 'Rich' won out. And you better conform to the rules such as making sure your shed, garage and house are all the same color!! No bright toys in the yard. You are fined for every infraction. Neighbors are not friendly towards each other. I had my group of friends and we all were young mothers and tried to start various activities for the kids. It would last a little while then someone would knock it down. Got to be too much. Moved out and yes I sometimes miss the 'idea' of Hemlock, but its better suited as a second home community.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 8, 2013
I have owned a house in Hemlock Farm since 1989 and I and I appreciate it. I live in NYC and spend time there. I pay all the dues and taxes. I can only say that the place is really safe and well taken care of by the Association. Sure some items cost a few bucks to maintain, but where can my family go and be secure. It is a place where you can do things within reason freely., There are beaches, pools, play grounds - all things people can use to enjoy themselves. I love the security and how problems are kept in check.
Living in NYC, I have seen life at its worst. I still live in NY and will continue to do so. But, I still want my Hemlock FARMS home for my grand children and family. I am dismayed at the way people complain about everything. Live in a big city and get a real dose of nonsense. Then you will know what you have.
I am starting to think there is a misappropriation of the dues.
Simply put....Hemlock Farms Taxes and fees are no higher than any other secure, amenity filled community in the Poconos. We had a home in Big Bass Lake before this and our friends have a home in The Hideout and the fees are almost the same.
I have noticed the same high fees at Hemlock in comparison to other similar communities. It seems that Hemlock fills a small niche' for the people wanting many ammenities, who have the time and energy to use them all. Maybe, active, well-to-do seniors. However, from what I've seen, if one can afford the ammenities, one would want a better home than can be found in this community.
I apologize for being a little redundant in my first paragraph - should have proofed it before clicking "Answer!" :)
Hemlock Farms does offer a huge array of amenities and services. They do have high dues, but taking into consideration the water fees and dues, they are comparable to The Hideout - another gated community. Both communities also offer a great deal of amenities.

Perhaps you don't need all the amenities that Hemlock provides - there are other less expensive communities to live in. What kind of amenities are you looking for in a community?
Hi Linda, I just bought a house in Hemlock Farms and I must say that the community is very nicely kept and I personally don't mind paying those amenity charges because my taxes were lower for my house, I Have been looking at houses since March and have been to a few communities, in my opinion, Hemlock was the nicest and I felt comfortable every time I went in there to see another house. All the roads in there are well kept also, where as in other communities I went to, the roads inside were horrible with tons of holes. I also bought without a mortgage and am looking to keep my monthly costs down so I will be paying my amenity charges yearly instead of monthly. I hope this was a little bit helpful.
Flag Sat Jul 26, 2014
Ive been looking at properties in Hemlock Farms on the internet..Your response has me confused. Is the water included in the maintenance. I've seen other areas charge about 600. for water in addition to maint. fee. So if water is included then its not so high. I visited a friend in Hemlock Farms a few years ago and it seemed to be kept very nicely. Im not sure how other communities compare? Can you enlighten me? I am looking for a second home and would like to keep the monthly costs down. I would not be purchasing with a mortgage contingency.
Flag Sat Mar 1, 2014