Home Buying in Kingston>Question Details

Merunka80, Home Buyer in Pine Bush, NY

Why are taxes so high in ulster county & surrounding areas?!?

Asked by Merunka80, Pine Bush, NY Mon Apr 1, 2013

My husband works in Kingston, NY, trying to buy a house but property taxes have made us stop looking in marlboro, new paltz, highland, wallkill. Is pine bush any cheaper? Don't know where else to look

Answers

7
New York State is high in taxes period. Most of it stems from the school taxes because of the mandates issued by the state. The 2% cap rate per year that was initiated by Cuomo recently is not as it seems. It does not mean that your taxes will only go up 2%.

If you were looking at any property in the Marlboro school district I do hope someone told you that the school taxes will be going up through the roof once again as they did in 2008. The reason is the bankruptcy of Dynergy. The company owed the school district $14 mil and now they had to close two schools in order to make up some of the difference and that was only $5mil. Where is the rest going to come from? Wild guess is the taxpayers.

That was a case of putting all your eggs in one basket. They were 80% of the tax base. Take for instance New Paltz where there are few local businesses so the residential taxpayers are assumuing most of the taxes.

Of all the places I have seen the lowest rates in the town of Rosendale and Esopus. Pine Bush would be a little higher and if any property has to do with Valley Central Schools they are looking at an 18% increase in taxes.

i know it is crazy to think that your monthly mortgage payments may be cheaper than your montly escow payments but there are properties out there you just need to weed through them.If you are not currently working with a realtor call my office and perhaps we can help you find some relief.

Four Seasons Realty Group - 845-255-0019
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 2, 2013
I feel you. I am *greatly* depressed because it's been my goal for MANY years to live in that area. Now - I must change my dreams and goals because I would NOT be able to afford the $8000/yr+ property taxes there. Even the few 5000/yr property tax homes are too much for me. A tiny 2 BR house with 5000+++/yr property taxes??! I would have to get 2 more jobs JUST to support the property tax of my home.
It's incredibly sad. It sets the locals up for failure, foreclosure, and bankruptcy....very very sad. The school board/state board needs too look outside their own greed and pocketbooks, and see how other states make their school systems work. It's a dynamic situation that should be ever evolving!! Bigger is not better. Get creative and make it work. Stop punishing the community for your greed and poor choices based on your greed.
Does anyone know about the Rock Hill area? I see there's a Emerald Community there. Was wondering what that's like. Does anyone know what the HOA fees are & if the houses in that community resell well?
I see that your question has been answered very articulately already, but I just wanted to let you know that (The Town of) Olive has super low taxes, (I do believe they're the lowest in Ulster County) & it's a beautiful area, & a very easy commute to Kingston! Let me know if I can help. :)

Erin Stokes
http://www.erinstokes.com
Erin, I'm sure you are aware that the hundred year tax break in Olive from the DEP is over? Taxes in Olive have doubled and now are just as high as surrounding areas.
Flag Wed Jan 15, 2014
Yea we have no idea what to do. We are originally from Jersey & moved up here in 2005 for my Husband's job in Kingston & purchased a house in Saugerties, NY. We sold that last year at a huge lost to us just to get rid of it because our taxes went from $5,500 a year to $8,800 a year. It's just insane when your mortgage goes up hundreds of dollars a month but your home is worth nothing. So we've been in a search for a new home from Kingston to Newburgh & have found nothing because even though you find an affordable home once you find out what the yearly taxes are it makes it not affordable. It's ridiculous that on a 2,000-2,200 sq ft home I've been getting tax numbers from $9,700-$13,000 a year. It's criminal. It's crazy that your monthly tax payment is more then your mortgage & that you have to lower your choices of homes just to keep the taxes at $7,000. We've had no luck finding a home we like with taxes we think are reasonable. We are actually thinking of giving up my husband's job & moving to PA & starting over. There you can purchase a brand new home for $240,000 & taxes are $3,000. Just stinks in this economy your taking a gamble on finding a job. It's ridiculous you can't afford to live somewhere because of the taxes. I though NY State got enough taxes with everything they tax you on already but they're property taxes since 2008 have just gone through the roof! I'm surprised people aren't leaving at a much higher rate.
I totally agree. I am looking for a smaller house with less property than I have right now. And the price of the houses are as much as what one would have paid for my much larger house a few years ago and the taxes are 1/3 to double what I am paying now. I am not getting any younger and taking care of all of this is too much but I am not giving it up for something smaller but will cost me so much more to own. I can't afford more taxes than I am already paying. My salary hasn't increase with the price of everything else. This is insane!!
Flag Wed Feb 5, 2014
hah, come to Nassau county here on Long Island. Oh, the amenities are great, international airports minutes away, gorgeous beaches and surroundings and a short trip to the city by rail. But on a 1600 square foot house I'm paying close to $11,500 and that's for a house that sits on a 50 x 100 plot.
Flag Fri Nov 1, 2013
Down south it is even cheaper but the jobs are just not available so its more of a retirement plan. The newer the home the more you will be paying in taxes here. Now look at the brownstones in NYC that are worth millions and those taxes about about $2000.00. What kind of sense is that? It's all those business that eat up the taxes that won't and then again not allowed to move into areas that don't allow some tax incentives for them.A never ending circle where taxpayers just keep paying and paying.
If you want to stay in this area consider an older resale recently rennovated near Rosendale or Esopus but it would be in the Kingston school district. If you get onto the website http://www.NewPaltzLifestyle.com you can sign up for an automatic listing alert and look at the individual properties for their current taxes.I also suggest that you read about the school districts, how they spent their budgets, the amount in reserves and look at the minutes of the town meetings.
Flag Tue Apr 2, 2013
Property taxes vary according to municipality and school district. Property taxes also figure into how much rent you pay in the same areas as the landlord must pay the taxes on the property as well. It seems to me that you need to sit down with a real estate professional and mortgage broker to see what you feel comfortable paying monthly for mortgage, taxes, and insurance then see what houses in the area meet that criteria. I hope that will be helpful to you. If you would like to discuss it further please feel free to contact me.