Home Buying in Falls Village>Question Details

yeadonite, Home Buyer in Millerton, NY

Why are taxes in Falls Village so much higher than in neighboring communities?

Asked by yeadonite, Millerton, NY Tue Nov 13, 2012

Thanks!

Answers

3
yeadonite’s answer
I think it is one of the things you weigh when moving there. If you are only going to be there part time is it worth the increased tax rate? I don't think there is an easy answer, it depends on the property.
Taxes are higher here because the tax base is so low. Neighboring towns have many more multi million dollar homes and/or businesses (mostly the expensive homes) so the budget has to be charged to fewer people with cheaper homes. It has nothing to do with the schools.
It is definitely not just about the school. We do have a small tax base but have our own elementary school, town pool, roads, government etc. This is a wonderful town to live in and to raise your family. We have an amazing town library and fire department. We may be small but what we have is terrific!
Flag Wed Aug 13, 2014
I live in Falls Village and bought a house here two years ago... I was told taxes are higher because of the school system. There is also a terrific library. Typically, when towns provide "services"... taxes are higher. I don't enjoy paying higher taxes, but I "overlooked" these taxes because I love this town. Very pretty village, friendly, convenient. And I have a great house.

Let me know if i can help.

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York
Berkshire Property Agents
12 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, Massachusetts 01230
http://www.berkshirepropertyagents.com/