Home Buying in Laguna Woods>Question Details

Star Eyes, Home Buyer in Laguna Woods, CA

Why are so many places up for sale at Laguna Woods....is there a problem? So Cheap....so I am asking if it is too good to be true ..something must be

Asked by Star Eyes, Laguna Woods, CA Thu Oct 13, 2011

Answers

8
First look at the HOA Dues before you say "So Cheap." I also heard there is a lot of deferred maintenance and landscaping which if properly maintained may cause their dues to rise even higher.

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference: http://www.umboc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011
Hello Star Eyes,

First and foremost, thank you for posting a question here at trulia. I appreciate it. Real estate prices range between the number of bedrooms and bathrooms. I am here to help you.
Most of the old section was built in 1965 and no one bothers to upgrade or remodel as a rule which is just sad! The original construction was not expensive but, cheap materials were used. Hence, the age shows badly. LW wants to spend millions on new facilities yet not improve plumbing and dry rot issues that are rampant. Caveat Emptor. If the listing speaks only of clubs, golf, pool, tennis...be warned.
They have financial requirements. ( You have to show your liquid assets = the house price + $120,000 and income require )
Everyone is absolutely right about the HOA dues. The homes will be priced lower because of the higher monthly expense of the association dues. Also, the prices could be lower because thats what the market is demanding. Home buyers nowadays aren't so quick to pay a higher price anymore and will look at the their total monthly housing expense when making a decision which could drive down the price. The amount of homes for sale wont help either. If there is alot of supply then the price will be relatively lower.

Let me know if your in the market to buy, I'd be glad to show you around.

Rafael Porter | realestate@rafaelporter.com | 626.244.7559
We moved here 3 years ago and just love it.
Perhaps the lower prices reflect the monthly Association dues of approximately $570. That includes water, trash, gardening, cable, bus services and access to over 200 clubs and activities. Our dues have remained constant since we arrived and are staying the same for 2012.
Whether you like golfing (they just completed a beautiful clubhouse/restaurant), dancing, theater, woodshop, painting, crafts, discussion groups etc., etc. there is something for everyone. It is easy to make friends and we moved here not knowing anyone. Now we are busy all the time. Laguna Beach is only a 10 minute drive. In fact we now call this Camp Laguna! Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
Asking prices are relatively low because the HOA dues are significantly higher than most places in OC. Compare your total monthly costs before making any decisions. There are some decent deals, but they're not as good as they appear. I looked with some clients and they ended up buying in Laguna Hills because of the significantly lower HOA dues and fewer restrictions that the HOA imposes. If you end up looking outside the gates then feel free to give me a call. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 16, 2011
Star Eyes, you should Google "Laguna Woods, Realtor" to find 2 or 3 neighborhood specialists, to ask your questions. L/W is an EXTREMELY unique community, quite unlike 99% of Orange County's neighborhood, and takes an agent who sells in there close to 100% of their business.

Good luck in finding the right person, with answers that will help you.
Web Reference: http://bit.ly/mls-search