bob, Both Buyer and Seller in Ocean View, DE

Why are "to be built" builder model homes include in listings of homes for sale?

Asked by bob, Ocean View, DE Tue May 7, 2013

Answers

14
Gina Copeland’s answer
Bob...The builders list with an agent so that they have someone getting qualified buyers to those new homes. Also its very marketable because many buyers want a new home and what better way to make both builder and buyer happy. In most case they can pick what colors and upgrades they may want in the home. The builder is then finishing it out for that specific buyer, he then doesn't have to worry someone doesn't like the finishing decor. Win, win situation.
Hello Bob,
Builders often list their "to be built" homes on the MLS and out on the internet as a means to attract a buyer before completion of construction. Sometimes the buyer is able to select finishes for the home which can be advantageous so that they can choose the colors and materials they want.
If you have concerns about these properties not being legitimate or have questions about them then I suggest contacting a local real estate agent to find out more about the properties.

Best wishes!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 7, 2013
I guess because they are for sale and someone might want to buy it and have it built, that is just a guess on my part, but I bet that is why they are listed for sale.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 7, 2013
I'd love to help you. Feel free to contact me through my Trulia profile.
Our local association of Realtors has voted on this as an acceptable listing for the MLS. In Delaware unlike other surrounding states Builders offer a "Co-Broke" or a percentage of the sale so there is a commission to the Realtor involved.
Hi Bob,

The reason the homes are in the MLS is another way for builders to market their product and give the public a sample of available models.

Chris Kavanagh
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Bethany Beach, De 19930

302-829-9068 (direct)
chris@5starbeachhomes.com
This is a point well taken, because there is a huge difference between new and resale homes. Perhaps this is a issue that could be resolved by each local MLS treating them as completely separate categories pretty much in the same way vacant land and commercial property is handled.

Just a thought....

Thanks for your replies. I should have been clearer. My objection is having multiple listings at exactly the same address. Builders in my county can submit separate listing agreements for each model home they offer.
The builders are represented by real estate agents who can list homes to be built on sublots that exist in developments. Our MLS in Northeast OH (the Greater Cleveland Area) allow these listings. That's why a Buyer's Agent should be used to buy a home to represent the needs of the Buyer; and, the Seller pays the commission. A Buyer's Agent would check the listings to determine if they are built homes or to-be-built homes.
Could be a spec house being built and wanted to find a buyer during the construction process.
Each MLS has rules for listing properties for sale. (For example, it has to have a specifc address and be "real property"). You can check with your local MLS and see if these builders are in violation.

P.S. The listings just don't get posted on these sites by the builders. they are actual listings in an MLS, put there by a member of that MLS (i.e. the listing agent). Sites like Trulia pulls listings from the different MLSs.
Builders are hijacking the online sites with unavailable homes at unrealistic prices on undisclosed lots.