Clarkecars, Home Buyer in Fort Myers, FL

Why are property taxes so high?

Asked by Clarkecars, Fort Myers, FL Sat Nov 24, 2012

Answers

7
Annette Lawrence’s answer
Clark,
The taxes are the taxes. If a 21 mill is too high, consider buying in a community with a 17 mill rate.
It is always interesting to note the gross taxes at 17 mill will be higher.

Take care to understand the number you are looking at as well as any exemptions for which you may qualify.

Best of success in finding your Tarpon Springs home.
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
-
Compared to what, 1985? Be happy where they currently are as its better now than in 2007.

BTW- they won't stay where they are now as property values are going back up again in FL.
Clarkecars,

Hard to say when you haven't named a particular property. If it is waterfront property in Tarpon Springs, then property values are higher due to location. Are the current taxes on a homestead property or not? As a Floridian you probably know that a non-homestead property has a 10% cap vs. a 3% on homestead. Are you comparing this to Fort Myers- and if so are you looking at homes in the same price range?

I feel an informed client makes the best decisions regarding their real estate needs. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Pam Cohn
Broker Associate, GRI, SFR, NHS
Real Estate Consulting, Marketing & Sales
Prudential Tropical Realty
2539 Countryside Blvd #3 Clearwater, FL 33761
pcohn@prutropical.com
727-204-7155
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
Compared to where? Remember we have no state income tax here. Also, the property you are looking at may have a CDD built into it. Also the garbage fee is included in our taxes
Taxes are somewhat based upon homesteading the property. If it is used for investment, taxes are what they are. If used as your primary residence, you get a $50,000 homestead exemptoin BEFORE taxes are calculated which lowers them quite a bit in some cases.

Fort Myers has city and county taxes. North Fort Myers has county taxes.

Call me directly if I can be of further help 239.246.6639

Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers

Kevin Cloutier, REALTOR
A "HouseSOLD" name
Southern Premier Realty
And because the County has higher expenses.

But mostly, because the people before you have been willing to pay the higher taxes.
Thank you! That is an honest answer. It also is illuminating as to the political leanings of the community.
Flag Sat Nov 24, 2012
Because schools, road maintenance, and other services are so expensive.
really? I own a 2800 sq ft home in the Atl area (Cobb Cty) and they are half what a 1000 sq ft townhome is in this area. BTW: I grew up in Central Fla. and my family is from Falls Church, Va. Your answer, with all due respect is simply nonsense!
Flag Sat Nov 24, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA