Home Buying in Kerhonkson>Question Details

Vthill1, Home Buyer in Kerhonkson, NY

Why are property taxes in the area so high?

Asked by Vthill1, Kerhonkson, NY Fri Oct 18, 2013

I've looked at a number of listings, and it appears that annual property taxes can be $100 on $1000 of assessed value, or even more. This seems crazy to me!

Answers

1
I think you must be looking at a property that has a Kerhonkson addresss and it's location is in the Town of Wawarsing. That particular township does not use 100% full market value as an assessed value to calculate their property taxes. They use a very small percentage of the full market value to calculate their assessed value (which is a percentage of the full market value) which then means that the dollar per $1000 is higher when figuring out their tax bills compared to townships that use 100% assessed value and the dollar per $1000 of assessed value is much higher. It looks like the property taxes are $100 on 1000 of assessed value, but in reality you're not seeing what the full market value is that they are using as their base for their calculation. You can call the Town of Wawarsing tax assessor for the full explanation as well. Their number is (845) 647-7800 x 235. Hope this helps.

Lynn Masanotti
Licensed Real Estate Associate Broker
WESTWOOD METES & BOUNDS REALTY, LTE.
845-687-0232, EXT 124 OFFICE
845-532-1716 CELL