Home Buying in Tobyhanna>Question Details

Noreen, Home Buyer in Tobyhanna, PA

Why are properties so cheap in Tobyhanna?

Asked by Noreen, Tobyhanna, PA Tue Sep 29, 2009

Answers

8
Well......there are many reasons as to why properties are so cheap in Tobyhanna, but here 3 that are most relevant.

1) A Multi Million Dollar home construction contractor has built HUNDREDS of homes (in this depressed market.) How did he do it? HE financed the construction and holds the mortgage on all the homes built. Most of the construction occurred in APCP. Why APCP? Because a huge amount of lots in APCP went for PEANUTS at the Monroe County Tax Claim Bureau tax auction.

2) Who is buying these homes? Former Project Dwellers from New York City and New Jersey.

3) These factors coupled with HIGH school taxes, HIGH property taxes and an increase in annual of over %55 charged by the APCPPOA since 2001 have DRIVEN OUT many residents and forced dozens of others into FORECLOSURE!

Those who did not foreclose chose to RENT TO SECTION 8 TENANTS.

The BUILDER has created an environment were in those people who had homes saw the value of the home drop BELOW even the depressed market value.

The APCPPOA Board of Directors saw this happening. What did they do to stop it? Who knows?

The REAL PERSON TO ASK AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENED? State Rep. for the 176th district...MARIO SCAVELLO!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 3, 2013
There's an old saying "Ignorance is Bliss". No it isn't! A Pocono Country Place which is a larger community in Tobyhanna has to be the most misrepresented, sensationalized area on the planet. People thrive on bashing areas based on hearsay, stigma, ignorance, and just plain ole lack of experience and knowledge. You can get a beyond fabulous home for far less than you can probably just about anywhere in the world. I've met the nicest, kindest, most helpful people I've ever met anywhere I've been in the world and I have been to a lot of places. I'm a realtor who lives in APCP. I'm single and live on a quiet cul de sac next to the state gamelands and never fear for a moment. Well ...Maybe if there's a black bear somewhere close by. Instead of being no more than sheep and following the herd, walk it before you talk it. Besides the community has water and sewer which makes life a lot simpler. Garbage pickup, snow removal, lakes, pools, tennis and more. If you want to move to Tobyhanna and want to know from a "real" expert, contact me. Living is Believing!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 5, 2011
how much are the taxes there
Flag Sun Jan 12, 2014
how much are the taxes there i see the homes are cheap and nice
Flag Sun Jan 12, 2014
I was wondering the same thing, many of those homes seem too good to be true! I was wondering if there's something wrong with the water, or what.
I have read alot about PCP as I am considering buying a vacation property there. I have almost been scared away....but not yet. Every negative comment I have read comes from people who don't live there. Most people who do live there seem to love it. I visited and thought it was one of the more beautiful developments in the entire poconos. I've been to Lake Harmony, Indian Mountain Lakes, Towamensing Trails, Arrow Head, the Hideout, Lake Wallenpaupack, etc. Far and away, PCP is better. Yes, there have been and no doubt still are elements that none of us would choose to have to experience. But these elements are everywhere, and you can run into them no matter where you are and no matter what you do. I believe, right or wrong, that PCP is experiencing such negativity based on problems that are being dealt with by the Pocono Regional Police. Where as it may have seen better days, it's best days are yet to come
Yes...I lived there and until YOU do, you will read and hear the PROPAGANDA that permeates the place. The people your hearing from in the "positive" are either those who KNOW NOTHING of the "inner workings" of the APCP Board, are members of what I and other like minded have termed "the clique" OR have just arrived there themselves.
I tell you true, I do NOT speak from "hear say" nor do I speak as a non resident. I lived there and I tell you.........worst MISTAKE of my life.
Flag Sun Mar 3, 2013
Although the previous answers touch on some of the issues in the area, they fall completely short on the real answer to this question. The PCP (Pocono Country Place) development really has less crime per square mile than most areas in the country. If you compare areas in NJ & NY where most of these people migrate from, you'll see that Tobyhanna is relatively safe and secure with less crime.

The real reason properties are so cheap in Tobyhanna has to do with the rate of default and or abandonment. Many people move up from NY and NJ to escape the rat race and tremendous cost of living in those areas. They are looking for their Utopia where they can raise their families and still retain their higher paying jobs in NJ & NY. They don't count on the long commutes and sometimes extreme winter weather and soon loose their ambition and drive which lead them to the Pocono region in the first place.
Alot of these people had currently been renting in these higher cost areas and see an opportunity to own their own home. After a year or two the Utopia wears off and becomes reality. That is the point when the desire to leave outways to reasons for moving in the first place. People walk away, homes go into foreclosure and the cycle erodes at the entire area.

I must tell you that this is an excellent area with all new schools and realatively low taxes when compared to most other areas in the Pocono region. Right now is the time to buy with low interest rates and historically low prices. You will not be sorry in a few years.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 25, 2010
In Pocono Farms Country Club most properties are not and were not cheap until recently with the down turn of the economy. I live In Pocono Farms and it is a beautiful community and I love it. It is far enough away from PCP they aren't right next door to each other. As for the dues Pocono Farms dues is about the same or cheaper then most other communities in the area.
Most houses are older and smaller. (around 2000 squarefeet) The only place I have been to in that area is the Pocono Farms Country Club to play golf. The golf course was excellent, however the houses can be considered upper middle-class. Most prices range from 175K to 300K
For me 175K is not cheap. Besides the community dues in Pocono Farms Country Club is more than a thousand dollars per year - thats not cheap either.
Because it's close to PCP (Pocono Country Place). A lot of bad elements live up that way, plus it's at 1920ft elevation, so it has the worst weather along with the undesirables.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 18, 2009