Home Buying in Union Beach>Question Details

Joe, Home Buyer in Matawan, NJ

Why are prices in Union Beach so low compared to neighboring areas? I have to believe it goes beyond just the market and has something to do with UB.

Asked by Joe, Matawan, NJ Sat May 7, 2011

There appear to be some really nice houses for sale for very low prices - more so than in surrounding areas (e.g. Keyport, Aberdeen). If the only cause was the housing market, the other towns would have similar houses for similar prices. So why is the price per square foot so low in Union Beach? My wife and I are looking for a starter home and UB appears to be a good choice considering the value, but I really don't know the area. Thanks for any insight you can provide on the town!

Answers

4
As a resident I can say this is completely wrong. I pay $592/yr for my flood insurance and that include $100,000 of content coverage. My premium didn't change in the last 2 years since Sandy. No one in town is being forced to raise their home. I have been there for 10 yrs. now. My home is for sale now as i am moving out of state. If there was any truth to Hovnanian rumor...I'm not sure why other builders would be rebuilding the entire town. To answer Joe's original question.... in my opinion it is a great time to buy in UB as the town rebuilds the values will grow quickly to catch up to surrounding areas, as a large % of the town will be brand new!
really. one the township has a sign before you buy or sell make an appointment with mr burlew, who never there doesnt return phone calls and they want you to do this before you buy. elevate.

two it is a fiasco, someone rumored that hovanian is trying to buy up the town and last but not least it is driving people out with the tax which will compensate for the negligence of the people who are doing a piss poor job of managing the zoning office.
The flood insurance is higher than the mortgage and taxes together. I had been in the process of buying a house and closing a week before Sandy. My flood insurance would have been $1700 a year. I could live with this but the other quotes I had received were $3600-$10,000. That killed any incentive to purchase. It only made sense to walk away from the property.
Flood insurance is administered by the National Flood Insurance Program and rates do not vary. Houses which are elevated out of the flood plain have relatively low flood insurance rates. The serenity of beauty of water views far exceeds a few hundred dollars in Flood Ins Premiums.
Flag Thu Jul 11, 2013
Borough of Union Beach Nj
Union Beach is the Best Little Town in NJ.this small bayshore town offers a quiet bay beach.
Please vitst http://www.unionbeach.net/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
thats what the sign says but dont believe everything you read. its no better than any other in the bunch.
Flag Wed Dec 11, 2013