Home Buying in Belle Chasse>Question Details

onebad_camar…, Home Owner in Ponchatoula, LA

Why are housing prices so rediculous in Belle Chasse?

Asked by onebad_camaro78, Ponchatoula, LA Sun May 13, 2012

Take for instance $169,000.00 for a 1400sq' house on .12 acres. You can go 40 miles north and buy a 1800sq' house on 1 acres between $125,000.00 & $145,000.00. Honestly can someone help me find the value in paying this kind of money for a home in Belle Chasse?

Answers

18
Belle chasse has the best schools, the lowest crime rate. that is the reason i had to bite the bullet and pay the price, so, i feel your pain camaro but with three teenage girls there was no way i was going to send my girls to any other public schools on the westbank. the price of a decent house plus private school was a lot higher than buying in belle chasse. Belle Chasse is the final frontier, remember your child hood? playing football in the street and walking outside with friends without being harassed by gangsters was the norm, that is still what belle chasse is today. a well knit community, the police are second to none and plenty of awesome programs to belong to in belle chasse.
Belle Chasse is a wonderful place to live. You can leave your door unlocked and not have worries. That to me is... priceless.

There are all ranges of home prices for everyone.
Like Lisa said, it is a highly desirable area. We don't have to send our kids to private schools to get a quality education, taxes are lower than the surrounding areas, and we get the benefit of small town life only 20 minutes from downtown New Orleans. Home owner policies are high everywhere in this area because of Katrina. The few companies willing to insure, make you pay for it. Belle Chasse is a great little place to live.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 8, 2012
Joel, it's all in the value that the residents place on the location. Additionally, Belle Chasse has highly rated public schools and lower tax rates than the surrounding areas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 14, 2012
We bought in Ponchatoula... 3.5 acres, 1700 sq ft a shop ECt $142.000.00 at 3.25 for 30 years.
A lot of people in Laplace, LA are really screwed. Ever since they built the new sea wall property & flood have sky rocketed. It's causing a lot of people to loose there homes. Evidently the gov knows something they aren't telling us. Honestly the writhing is on the wall do I guess they shouldn't have too.
It was a place to start... I'm not the only one who feels that way. I work with many local's that have been here for years and they all say the West Bank is screwed.. The land is sinking and eroding away, less hurricane protection, crime ext.. A lot of them are selling and moving north.
All markets are local, but they all share one basic principle. Its basic economics, supply and demand, there are obviously enough people willing to purchase homes in this area at that price. Value is subjective, obviously you don't believe you get enough for your money in this area and believe you get more value by traveling 40 miles north. My question is, then why are you looking in Belle Chasse?
Nothing under $200k.... To me that's high for no yard, no garage & dated housing... Not to mention home owners ins is through the roof.
In Belle Chasse? Home owners insurance was inexpensive and our neighborhood didn't flood. We had a two car garage, fenced yard, and beautiful house. We updated it and LOVE IT. Look in different neighborhoods. As it has been mentioned, the schools, property tax, and safety are awesome. Having moved from BC to Mass, I'd go back in a heart beat. You get far more house there than here!
Flag Sun Feb 2, 2014
And since we have the freedom of speech, I was sharing my viewpoint. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I hope that you are able to move on to greener pastures soon and make the best of it here in the meantime.
It's a free country with freedom of speach the I time I checked. These people need to here a little truth about this place. It's not lined with gold like they make it out to be. I live on the base as well.
My life is far from sheltered. We are a military family here for three years now. While I realize this area is not without it's faults, I have made the best of it and focused on the positive. We have to go to a new place every few years whether we like that place or not. Instead of complaining and being miserable, maybe it would make your time here a bit more tolerable if you did the same.
Also, I dont go to Walmart because I don't care for the clientele or the service I receive. Having lived in many places, I know that every Walmart on the planet is the same as the last. There are other stores you know.
Go to Walmart on the 1st and 15th and you will have your answer!! I'm from south Texas and I would go back in a flash if it wasn't for my job. I work with some good people that have lived here all there lives and they say this place has gone and is going further to hell in a hand basket. I don't have to look very far to see the truth. If you can't see it you live in sheltered life.
Just curious Joel, what is this shopping RIFRAF you speak of? I don't know about you, but I'm not rich, so I can't shop in the most elite upscale areas. I have to shop with all of the other regular folks at various levels of society.
Actually, there are only 42 homes for sale in Belle Chasse with 2 of them on the market for over a year.

Good luck in Destrehan - the good news is that there's a neighborhood to suit everyone!
St Charles Parish, Destrehan, La. We're buying a very nice house with a large detached garage for 193k. The public schools have as good a review if not better than Plaquimines Parish. 90% of the houses in Belle Chasse are dated and have been on the market over a year. When you add the high cost of homeowners ins, the RIFRAF that you have to deal with for decent shopping and this crowded HWY 23 the value just isn't there.
The Prices are higher because a lot of people want to live there:

The prices 5-10 years from now will probably still be higher.

And the people who bought 5-10 years ago, will be so happy that they only paid $169 for their home.
and astronomical home owner policies!! In my opinion the low tax excuse to raise the value of the house is unjustifiable. It's looking like we will have to move to Slidell on the other side of I-12. What a sad deal that I ever decided to move out of south Texas to here.