Home Buying in Fairfield>Question Details

Virginia Ric…, Other/Just Looking in New Canaan, CT

Why are houses in the Brooklawn area (e.g. Collingwood Ave, etc.) priced so high when they abutt Bridgeport?

Asked by Virginia Richards, New Canaan, CT Sat Sep 4, 2010

Answers

5
LOcation, location, etc. Brooklawn has always had an air of a "better" neighborhood, more desirable....Brooklawn Country Club if it still exits helps as well....But today we have a second, more accessible train station to further the allure of the Brooklawn area.....

Good luck....I am a Greenwich agent, but I grew up partially in Stratfield right next door to Brooklawn....

.any questions about down our way, give me a call -203622-9205!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
For years many towns have had what we call market areas that. had specific unique characteristics as well as deomographics. The demand for housing has blurred those lines between many areas. So many towns have become more homogenous.
In the past there was a greater demand for homes further away from the more urbanized areas of town.
Today, many of the buyers have started to shift there focus to being closer to and walking distance to more urban settings and ammenities. The new train station in Fairfield has also had an effect on property values in close proximity..
There are many articles that predicted this shift because of time constraints on our lives, the economy and the cost of fuel today. It's also a quick hop to many major road connections.

Take for example South Norwalk, Sono. The price per sq foot of condominiums are higher in Sono than just about any other area in Norwalk, with the exception of some beach locations. Commercial and residential mixed areas have become more in demand. You can walk to restaurants, shopping and the train.

NYC, traveling up 5th Avenue, is another prime example. Many years ago the closer you ventured towards Harlem, the price points changed. Now as you go further past 96th street, you will see that the higher end has spread North, again revitalizing an area that many would not have thought possible years ago.

So in addition to the thoughts below, I thought I would interject my thoughts on this subject. Times are a changing the landscape of Real Estate.

Thank you for presenting this question. It was thought provoking.

Candy Lipira

"Your Beacon to Fairfield County Lifestyles"

Candace Lipira, Realtor
Keller Williams Platinum Properties
203-856-8501 cell
203-544-9786 home
candylipira@optonline.net
candylipirahomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Hi Virginia,
My colleagues response below is true regarding the benefits of Fairfield taxes and schools over its Bridgeport neighbor, but it should also be noted that the Brooklawn area is also very lovely with rolling topography and it's own distinctive character. Brooklawn agruably carries greater value than its immediately abutting Stratfield & Fairfield Woods areas of Fairfield real estate as well.Perhaps the appeal of Brooklawn is due to characteristics such as the country club, many homes of fine architecture, mature old trees etc...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Hi Virginia,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Even though the homes are close to Bridgeport they still receive the Fairfield benefits including schools and taxes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010