Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

ccsmith, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Why are homes in Austin for sale no longer showing up on Trulia?

Asked by ccsmith, Austin, TX Wed Apr 16, 2014

Answers

3
Carrie Hiner’s answer
The Austin Board of Realtors voted to stop syndicating area listings. This gives the broker and listing agent control of their sales. Keller Williams is sends its listing feed online. And I believe Trulia and the Austin Board of Realtors will be reaching an agreement soon on providing data. The best way to see homes as they come on the work is to connect with an area realtor that has MLS access. Trulia and Zillow are great but are really third party sites and not brokers.
If you'd like free and direct access to the MLS, you can use http://www.corehomesaustin.com
Actually, the more accurate purpose is to retain control of the homes data.
For example, homes that are allowed to appear on Trulia can have up to 25 data fields changed, such as PRICE and STATUS which the agent CAN NOT CORRECT! (See edit my listings on Trulia)

The agent should realize the seller and buyer will assume the agent is attempting a 'scam' of some sort. Further, the information that remain on the sites and others, creates a hazard for the new home owner that could allow stranges access to private areas of the home.

The contention that restricting information on irresponsible websites has self-serving motives is indicative of those who have little concern, or knowledge of the perils and hazards created.

The brokerages who have taken the necessary and courageous steps to protect their clients should be commended. The consumer ALWAYS has the option of searching for Austin homes for sale in the locat MLS where the agent is able to control the homes information. It is FREE, accurate, timely, comprehensive and responsible.
Hello Annette...
I'm curious what your "access to private areas" comment means? I know it might be best not to share that with the world (and give bad guys a tool we don't want them to have), but if you have a second, I'd love to see it privately: jim@olivekeywest.com. Thanks, and have a great day...Jim
Flag Thu Apr 17, 2014
Many Realtors in Austin have chosen to NOT put their listings on Trulia because they want control of who sees them. The best search, the one that Realtors use to access the Austin MLS is here

http://bit.ly/1mgdO3W

Try it out. It only has active listings of houses for Sale in Austin. You can also search for rentals and leases.
First off...what a great name to have in our business! Second...that's very interesting...has the local Association moved in unison to cut out the aggregate listing sources, or is it a grass-roots movement? Is it widespread? I understand it completely (we've all answered FAR too many questions about ghost properties), but it also seems dangerous to me, since SO MANY people are starting their home search on these sites. Great discussion item, thanks for sharing...
Flag Thu Apr 17, 2014