jimbosvr, Home Buyer in Sheboygan, WI

Why are home listings not updated faster?

Asked by jimbosvr, Sheboygan, WI Sat Feb 8, 2014

I have found several homes that I am interested in. Why do so many of them have offers or are even sold when they still show they are active on many of the real estate websites? I have often found that out when I contact someone for a showing.

Answers

7
Janice is correct though this area is notorious for agents not updating their listings accordingly. Even though the local MLS rules state that agents are to update their listings, this is not a common practice for many of the agents in the Sheboygan area.

If you ever need someone to call/check on a list of homes in that area you can either call or email me and I can check the MLS as well as call the listing agencies to check statuses for you if you would like.
I actually thought I was saving someone the work of finding me a house that I am interested in. Maybe this is just their tactic to get people to find a dedicated agent. I guess I will need someone to help me. Thank you.
Flag Sun Feb 9, 2014
It's true, it can be irritating that some home listings aren't always updated. The only way to get around it is to do what you've done-- contact people after you find a home. The listings are a way to make the buying process more convenient, but you still need to do your own legwork. http://scottveerkamp.com/listings/
One little detail that has been missed is that generally the contract between the real estate company and seller requires the company to market the property until closing. In this day and age it is not unusual that offers fail to close. While there are systems that allow the agents to mark the properties as "Under contract" or some similiar language that is meant to be a communication between agents to assist them in having correct information when working with their buyers. It does not stop the listing agent from their obligation to continue marketing the property and looking for "back-up" buyers. Advertising media does not always move fast enough to keep up with the changing status of the property. Always check with an agent to get the most current information about a property before you "fall in love" with it or rulle it out as "sold"
You have gotten a lot of great answers for your question. If you are searching for a home to buy do yourself a favor and start interviewing real estate agents to represent you. You will get the most accurate listing info from your agent because they have direct access to the MLS.
I think you are right. My question was two-fold, a bit of venting as well as a round about way of looking for help. I tried going about this on my own but that obviously wasn't working.
Flag Sun Feb 9, 2014
PS: Real estate professionals are in NO WAY responsible for data that appears on aggregate websites like Trulia or Zillow. Any suggestion that they are are from those who do not understand the origin of the data appearing here.That is a disappointing truth.
Jim, Where are you seeing this inaccurate data? More amazing is why no one asks this question FIRST! Agents are not responsible for data appear on aggregate websites like Trulia or Zillow the the hundreds of other sites that use real estate data to attract visitors. ------------------ The WavGroup published a study reveal 37% of the data on Trulia is faulty. Nearly 1/3 of the homes for sale were already sold or under contract! The data shown on Trulia is sourced from LISTHUB who changes the information.--------------The question to ask is "WHY ARE YOU USING TRULIA?"---------------------Accurate, reliable, timely, comprehensive, responsible data is available to you and provided FREELY through any local REALTOR. All that is required of you to receive accurate data is to be plugged into the local MLS. Realtors will do this FREE! They do not keep their telephone numbers a secret.----------------The choice has always been yours to make. You made a poor decision previously and experienced disappointing results. Now you can make a good one and get the data you need. Chasing the vapors of home sold long ago is disappointing. Contact a Sheboygan Realtor and use the local MLS for your real estate searching.
This is happening on the real estate agents own websites. I don't think it would be in my best interest to specifically name the agents or their websites. I do believe you are accurate in saying I need to contact a local realtor. I just think it's unfortunate how I came this conclusion. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
Flag Sun Feb 9, 2014
The local multi-listing services that Realtors use are updated immediately if the agent has placed the information correctly. There is then a delay for that information to be relayed to all of the other real estate related websites such as Trulia, Zillow etc.

This is why it is always best to have a Real Estate Agent that you work with that can give you the most up to date information.
Jim,
I think your best option is to find a dedicated agent that can help you. They could verify listings for you and they could start helping you in your search.
Flag Sun Feb 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I had figured that the listing should be updated in a more timely fashion. However, some of them are going on several weeks. And that is on the listing agents website.
Flag Sun Feb 9, 2014