Home Buying in Punta Gorda>Question Details

Crispy, Home Buyer in Punta Gorda, FL

Why are boat lifts required for new construction in BSI?

Asked by Crispy, Punta Gorda, FL Mon Jan 14, 2013

We are interested in canal front single family home in Punta Gorda, and big boat access (1/2 hour or less to river) is top desire. We want to be able to dock a 40 foot boat (either power or sail). I've read that boat lifts are required in BSI. What is the rational for that and how does it affect big boat docking.

Answers

3
Hi Crispy!

What kind of 40 foot boat do you have? What is the draft?? BSI goes out Alligator Creek and may be too shallow for your vessel. You are probably going to have to look to purchase in Punta Gorda Isles where the canals are deep. You might also want to consider South Gulf Cove, in Port Charlotte (the access isn't as good as Punta Gorda Isles, but better than BSI.)

I would love to help you find just the right place. If you like, I will do a custom search for you.... or if you would like to search on your own, we have a great website you can search for listings: http://puntagorda.suncoasteam.com/search-the-mls .

Give me a call or email me. I pay attention to detail & ALWAYS get back to my clients!

Happy Sailing~
Debra Mann
Suncoasteam Realty
941-625-5715
debra@suncoasteam.com
http://puntagorda.suncoasteam.com
Hello Crispy;

It is a deed restriction within this community. I happen to live in Burnt Store Isles and here is the associations web-page where you can obtain the exact by-laws: http://www.bsia.net/

Please let us know if we can help in anyway.

Thank you.

Curt Mellon
Re/Max Anchor Realty
941-626-3640
curt@mlsDetectives.com
Thank you. It actually appears to be a city ordinance and not the BSI association, according to the web sites. I am just wondering what the background is for such a requirement?
Flag Mon Jan 14, 2013
Here is some information from the deed restrictions for Burnt Store Isles:
BOATS, BOATHOUSES AND ANCHORAGE.
Boat landings, docks, piers and mooring posts shall be constructed only in accordance with plans and specifications therefore approved in writing by the Grantor. The owners and occupants of the aforementioned lands shall have an easement in common for the purposes of navigation on all waterways. Docks, piers, or mooring post shall not be constructed so as to extend beyond a distance of eight feet from lot line. However, the Grantor may from time to time authorize a variation in the aforementioned docking plan. Such variation, if any, must be in writing. No boathouse shall be constructed on or adjacent to the lots plotted on the above-mentioned land, nor shall any boat canal or slip be dug or excavated into any of the waterfront lots unless the same is approved in writing by the Grantor. No vessel or boat shall be anchored off shore in any of the waterways adjacent to the aforementioned lot(s) so that the same shall in any wise, interfere with navigation.

SEAWALLS
The Grantor may require the applicant, purchaser, optionee, lessee or grantee of a waterfront lot(s) to construct a seawall in accordance with a common plan and specifications approved by said Grantor. The Grantor reserves the right and option, however, to construct a seawall on a water front lot along the lot lines on the waterfront side of the aforementioned land. Upon the completion of any such seawall erected by the Grantor, the actual cost of such seawall erected by the Grantor, shall be paid pro rata based on the lineal waterfront footage of said lands by the applicant, purchaser, optionee lessee, or grantee of said land, and after the completion of the construction by the Grantor of any such seawall, a lien shall arise and is hereby created in favor of the Grantor and against the applicant, purchaser, optionee, lessee, or grantee for the full amount chargeable to each lot and the amount payable by each applicant, purchaser, optionee, lessee, or grantee, shall be due upon the completion of such seawall. The lien for such seawall shall be enforceable in law or in equity according to the provisions of Florida law by Grantor and the cost of collecting such liens shall be paid by the grantee, applicant, purchaser or optionee, including attorneys fees. Should Grantor permit grantee, applicant, purchaser or optionee to construct their own seawall, the same must be approved by the Grantor, and shall be similar in height and appearance to adjoining lots.

I have the Articles of Incorporation, ByLaws and Deed Restrictions if you would like me to send them to you.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com