Martin, Other/Just Looking in Portland, OR

Why are addresses not disclosed in some MLS listings?

Asked by Martin, Portland, OR Sun Dec 16, 2007

What is the motivation for this policy? I was trying to drive by several listings to see if the area was interesting to me, but some say "private address" so I cant go see them. It seems like realtors would want me to at least know the address of the house they are trying to sell. What are they thinking?

Answers

9
Ever notice how some companies in RE publications do not have prices on their listings? This is in hopes that you will call the office or agent to find out the price. In addition to it being a privacy matter for some sellers, it may also be a desire to initiate conversation with potential buyers. We may never have an oppurtunity to do business with you, if we never make an initlal contact! I prefer the other school of thought, give you as much information about my listings so you can decide if you are interested in the property, saving us both time and energy! I get fewer calls on my listings, but the ones I get are parties much more interested in that particular property!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2007
I usually will not put an address on properties that are tenant occupied or those with elderly owners. Driving by a home or checking out a neighborhood is one thing but all too often "potential buyers " believe they can knock on the door of a property if they like it and the seller will let them in. Often when the occupant balks people can get rather rude.
Kaye Thomas, Real Estate Pro in Manhattan Beach, CA
Brokers and agents provide data feeds to Trulia on a voluntary basis. The party who transmits the data determines the detail submitted. If the data is submitted by the brokerage company, it might not be the individual agent's decision, nor within their control. If the data is submitted by the individual agent, it is that agent who determined to withhold the address. There could be instances where a seller determined they did not want the data publicly disclosed, and the company or agent is honoring the wishes of the property owner.
4 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
Martin,

Some of the earlier posters answered your question pretty well. Occasionally, I've had sellers who do not want a for sale sign posted in front of their house and do not want the home displayed on the internet. In talking further with a seller like this, they are usually concerned with safety or don't want the neighbors to find out. (which they probably will discover anyway when a Bekins truck shows up in front... ;) )

BTW, I work the Portland market, so if you want, I can probably locate the addresses of the listings you were referring to. I'm happy to email them to you!
Martin....

Sometime our sellers want the property advertised on the internet but do not want to give out their address on the internet. If that is the case, contact your Realtor to obtain further information for you. Good luck.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
As a seller, I don't owe you my private information on a public forum. It is dsappointing to hear some realtors talk about what was best for them instead of the owner of the property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2007
Toots and Chris have this right. Some sellers want their privacy and I support that. The properties that are listed with that concern in mind are easily found by a buyer broker.
I think others have summarized possible reasons, so I want ot suggest if you are not yet working with a Buyer Broker, and you found a property by Map Search on a Broker site, try the same search - using the same details and Zip Code - on Zillow.com - iinclude ALL HOMES in case the Agent hasn't added a link yet, and you mey well find more info than a Broker may offer (except their TREO report may tell you what is still owed on the property - which can help you determine Seller Flexibility).

After you find the address, use it to also click around PortlandMaps.com - here you can easily see the Permits, Photos, Oil Tanks, near Bus routes, Zoning restrictions, potential Hazards and much more. In this way you can enjoy narrowing your search - before buying gas. I've had Inspections fail to determine serious things. PortlandMaps has recent Tax Info, a better Sales History, and can help you determine what kids of expertise you may need. Professionals and Contractors can walk thru with you on your second look, if desired. Many great properties are passed over for a fairly simple fix item. In reality all properties have SOME issue. Many can be handled before you move in, or help to negotiate on price. Both sites have several kids of photos that can help you see the neighborhood and architecture also...saving you time and gas money. You can email questions to the Agent or Seller directly thru Zillow. Enjoy!
Web Reference: http://www.PortlandMaps.com
Right on Holly!

Hopefully, the old school realtors/real estate companies will catch up with technology. I believe it will happen . . . over time!

Francesca
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2007