Home Buying in Pocono Lake>Question Details

Carl, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Why are Monroe County school taxes so outrageous?

Asked by Carl, Philadelphia, PA Tue Mar 1, 2011

Why are the school taxes so outrageous in Monroe County. I would love to buy a home in Arrowhead, but the tax rates just seem incredible. Is there something I'm missing? Neighboring Carbon County actually seems reasonable. This high tax rate in Monroe County is almost the one thing stopping me from running up there and buying a home.

I don't know why, but it is totally unfair. Only homeowners pay the school tax, yet renters do not. Homeowners, whether with children in schools or not, pay the school tax. Renters, whether with children in school or not, do not pay the school tax. Seem absurd. It should be divided equally, and if your children are no longer in school, or you never had children in school, you should not have to pay a school tax. Between the school tax, property tax and the Berkheimer tax, I need a second job just to take care of taxes! Something really needs to be done, but I don't know what or how to go about it. Any suggestions (other than moving!)?
The Pocono man school district grew at a fantastic rate during the 70's as a vacation area...then in the 80's there was a beginning toward more permanent homes .... After 911 and the banks/investors witnessed the potential to sell more homes marketed to the surrounding areas as primary homes and people flocked to the area for a "new life" safe for their children who had to attend local schools. However, the schools had to be built at new costs to satisfy the growing demand . I believe there have been 8 new buildings to accommodate the growing need. It is surely a mess as now homes have to be vacated because the reality of country living was a dream, a myth created by greedy investors, and builders falsely marketing to the desires of "a better life", a train to accommodate the need for transportation...well the buildings are still there but the recent facts state that enrollment is down as well as federal funding! The programs, "no child left behind, mandated by federal depat of education had not been fully or properly funded and the schools are t heavy with administration. Also the incoming population, u co trolled by parental supervision have warranted additional need that parents of these children think should be funded and supplied by the taxpayers through the school districts. The county assistance offices are overrun by people from cities that apply and need money, medical, food programs.
What is the answer? Anyone?
Arrowhead Lakes homes are some of the older homes and are more comfortable taxes when compared to the newer homes built in Pocono Summit and Long Pond area as well as Tobyhanna areas a few years ago. Don't be fooled by Carbon County Listings that show small tax bills. They re-assess after each transaction so what you see is not always what you get. Long story short, the Poconos is coming into its own as not only a place to vacation or Getaway Too but a place to reside in full time so the schools are filling out.

If your sole purpose is to find a home in the Poconos with the Lowest Possible Taxes then let us find you something in Wayne County. Rolling fields and long scenic drives is Wayne County PA!