Pu, Home Buyer in Village Of Five Parks,...

Why Rocky Flats was built there : Transcript for Len Ackland OH0991?

Asked by Pu, Village Of Five Parks, Arvada, CO Mon May 21, 2012

From the Boulder Library Oral History project, Len Ackland, one of my favorite writers, has this information, which explains why that site was selected, with unfavorable winds and large nearby population...

51:11Did you have any problems getting access to important ?

Oh, yes, oh, yes. In fact, the secrecy of the documents was one of the great challenges, because in—Well, one of the early questions I had was, why is Rocky Flats where it is? Why was it placed 16 miles from downtown Denver? Who in their right mind would do that? So I looked back and discovered that there were two Colorado senators, one a Democrat, the other a Republican, who were in Congress when the Rocky Flats decision was announced. And I discovered that these two Senators were on this little-known but extremely powerful joint committee of Congress that was called the Joint Committee on Atomic Energy.

Check here : http://www.boulderlibrary.org/oralhistory/