Home Buying in Hershey>Question Details

Randy Landis, Home Buyer in Hershey, PA

Who writes up the offer and gets the commission, the agent who showed me the property or the agent that I now have a contract with?

Asked by Randy Landis, Hershey, PA Mon Aug 9, 2010

I saw the condo several times with the listing agent. I since put an offer on another property (it wasn't accepted), and at that time signed a buyer-broker agreement. I now want to submit an offer on the first property. Is there a standard protocol in this situation? What are my options concerning who writes the offer and who gets the commission? (BTW, the agent who showed me the first property is no longer the listing agent.) Thanks. R.L.

Answers

6
If you are now under contract with a buyer broker, hey should write the offer. you should at least see the house through a showing set up by your buyer broker. I would tell your new agent what has transpired.
Home owner here, not a realtor. I've had this issue before. The new broker wisely asked me if any one had shown properties before we got together and should we work through them if we went back to those houses. In the case you describe I would not worry about it - water over the dam now.
It sounds to me like you now have a Buyer's Agent and should do everything through him.

Now that the first agent is no longer the listing agent (did his contract expire and the condo get listed through another firm?) he is out of the picture.

That is my interpretation. If I was the first agent's broker I would not pursue the commission. And if I was your buyer's agent's broker I would indeed stake claim on the commission.
R.L,

which agent did you sign the buyer agency agreement with? how long was the agency agreement good for?
Give me a little more detail and I can give you my best answer. Usually if you see a property with an agent and they are the procurring cause they write the offer and get the commission, giver a little more detail if you want or call me if you would like, i dont mind talking to you about it.
Web Reference: http://www.calwilliams.com
You probably have to got through the agent you have the buyer-broker agreement with but if it was signed under a situation where they either tricked you or forced you to sign it, it is not valid.

You new agent should have asked you if you are working under a buyer-broker contract but that's history now.
Web Reference: http://fglick.com
The agent you are under contract with as your Buyer Broker will prepare the offer for you and present it to the listing agent. The only exception to this may be in the case of new construction. Typically new construction contracts are prepared by the Builder’s rep or on-site agent. New construction uses slightly different forms than the standard forms Realtors Forms available to your agent and each builder typically has their own paperwork.